ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Not Your Average Peep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

With Easter coming up, stores are filling up with the classic marshmallow Peeps. Whether you want the chicks or bunnies, they are everywhere. People often give Peeps away in baskets, but why not make this year a little different? Here are a few very original ways to give a twist on the classic marshmallow treat.

An Edible Easter Basket

Courtesy of: DIY Craft Time

Why put the candy just inside the basket when you can make the basket yourself? To make the sides, just glue or tape packages of Peeps together to create a box (without the top). The handle for the basket can be made of whatever material you choose, like ribbon or duct tape. Once the box is made, throw in a little Easter grass and some eggs filled with candy. This would be great for the sugar-loving little cousin or sibling you have.

A Peep Center Piece

Courtesy of: Flair For Home

Who says Peeps can’t be classy? A great way to use the extra Peeps and other candy in your house is to make a center piece for your table using the candy. First, get two square vases (one big, one small) and place the smaller vase in the middle of the bigger vase. Fill the bigger vase up about half way with jelly beans and then place bunny Peeps on top of the jelly beans so the bunnies are facing out. Once you have bunnies all the way around, put your favorite flower in the smaller vase in the center! This gives you a great way to display the flowers you got for Easter in a new and original way, all while using Peeps!

Chocolate Dipped Peeps

Courtesy of: Your Homebased Mom

Instead of giving someone a boring box of Peeps, take the Peeps out of the box, dip them in chocolate, and then sprinkles. Once the Peeps are dry, put them in a cute paper box to serve that night as dessert. Not only do you get the amazing taste of marshmallow and chocolate, but they look really cute!

Peeps Popcorn

Courtesy of: Simply Klassic Home via Yellow Bliss Road

Popcorn balls don’t only have to be a Halloween treat. Instead of using traditional methods of forming popcorn balls, use melted Peeps! You can have a lot of fun with this recipe because Peeps come in so many different colors. First, make the popcorn. It doesn’t have to be any particular kind! Then, melt butter and Peeps together in a sauce pan. Stir the mixture until it is smooth, but be careful! The sugar can burn easily so keep stirring! Once the Peeps are melted away, pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir. Pour the popcorn Peep mixture onto wax paper so it can cool down a bit before rolling it into your popcorn balls. Once the popcorn cools down enough to touch without getting burnt, roll the mixture into your popcorn balls!

Peeps Candle

Courtesy of: A Frugal Friend

While Peeps are a fun snack to eat during the Easter holiday, they aren’t everyone’s favorite. If you still want to give a Peep-themed gift, Yankee Candle has your problem solved! This year they came out with a candle called Marshmallow Chicks that features colored Peep chicks on the front. The smell of marshmallow will warm up any house and get everyone present in the spirit of Spring!

Hello there! I am a sophomore at John Carroll University. I am majoring in Sociology with a double minor in Engish and Peace, Justice, and Human Rights so I stay pretty busy. I someday hope to go into Social Work and then go on to help end the stigma associated with mental health. I am a proud Kappa Delta and will often be sporting my letters. You will either find me singing songs from Frozen on the KD floor, in the library, or grabbing a quick decaf coffee before class.
Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.