Book Review: The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Overall rating: 5/5 stars

Premise – (5/5) This book has been on my to-read list ever since I heard about it. It just sounded like so much fun! Pirates, highwaymen, daring adventure, and a historical, gay, interracial love plot. So many elements to like. I was super excited for this story! I was ready for Monty’s Grand Tour to sweep me away. (Plus, my own recent European travels made it even more fun to read about Monty’s journey.)

Characters – (5/5) I loved Lee’s characters. They’re full of personality, and she made the effort to diversify her cast. Our narrator, Monty, is bisexual (though that term is not explicitly used), and deals with PTSD. His traveling companion, best friend, and love interest, Percy, is biracial, disabled, and likes boys. (Keep in mind, I have none of those identities, so don’t take my judgements on their representation as authoritative.) Also along for the ride are Felicity, Monty’s prickly, brainy younger sister, Helena and Dante, an enigmatic pair of Spanish siblings hiding secrets, and a good-hearted crew of pirates. A desperate villain has his part to play too. Lee really fleshed out her characters, and I felt they were all very distinct and consistent throughout the novel. The book was rife with complicated relationships and powerful interactions, both positive and negative.

Plot – (5/5) The thing I liked a lot about this plot was that it was just fantastical enough. A mysterious puzzle-box, a race across Europe, harrowing near-death experiences. It actually sounds a bit like The Da Vinci Code when you put it like that, but this is historical, young adult, and a bit less focused on codes and riddles and more interested in human relationships. The plot wasn’t overly complex, but had nice elements of mystery and puzzle-solving that I really liked. It was believable, but still had an element of the fantastic, which is so appealing.

Writing – (5/5) The Gentleman’s Guide deals with a lot of heavy topics. From homophobia and racism to parental abuse, there’s a lot of really serious stuff covered in the book. These topics are addressed in a way that I felt handled their complexities and challenges very well, particularly in the historical context. (Again, disclaimer, those are things I do not struggle with, so that that with a grain of salt.) But The Gentleman’s Guide was also absolutely hilarious. A lot of it is gallows-humor, but it really is laugh-out-loud funny. Lots of wit and humor woven in with the book’s darker themes.

World – (4.5/5) The world we get for Gentleman’s Guide is that of eighteenth century Europe. It’s not bogged down with historical details, but does give nice look into that world. This becomes particularly tricky with topics like the gay community and racial tensions during these times, but I think Lee overall handled that pretty well.

Overall – (4.9/5) This book has such a good balance of serious topics and discussion and entertaining action. The up and downs of Monty and Percy’s relationship, their heart-pounding chase across the continent, and their moments of anger, amusement, and tenderness, captivated me for the entire book. I loved Lee’s characters, and her writing, which ranged from serious discussion to whimsical descriptions. The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue is an emotional roller coaster and I had so much fun reading it. As long as you’re prepared for the book’s darker subjects, I would absolutely recommend it!

Trigger warnings: racism, ableism, homophobia, parental abuse, suicidal thoughts, post-traumatic stress disorder

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel. 
JCU Campus Correspondent