Ask Trevor: What is Love and How to Be Flirty Via Text

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Dear Trevor, How can I be flirty over text? I always try so hard, but my conversations sound like they’re with my grandma! Help!

Is your grandma an interesting woman? Does she turn a lot of heads? If so, this might be a good thing! Embrace your inner-grandma, and win your crush over with some milk and cookies and maybe even a crocheted scarf! Okay okay, in all seriousness, trying to be flirty can be nerve-wracking. You want the other person to realize you’re expressing interest in them (rather than just making idle chitchat), but you also don’t want to overdue it and risk being creepy. My advice? This might sound ridiculous, but I say don’t even bother specifically trying to be flirty. You’re just gonna cause yourself unnecessary anxiety. Plus, spending too much time deliberating your words in a text heightens the possibility of them becoming robotic, awkward, or insincere. Instead, just express interest in them in the most genuine and sincere ways as possible, such as asking how they are or how their day is going. Be more specific than that if you can. If their answer is positive, let them know you’re glad that things are going well. If their answer is negative, try to cheer them up or at least express your condolences.

Another thing to try is talking about anything that is common ground between you two. A favorite TV show? A favorite sport? A favorite activity or hobby? A class or professor you both have? Start conversations about these things, and make sure neither one of you is doing all the talking. Also, when you respond to what they say, specifically address certain things they said instead of just sharing an entirely new idea.

Basically what I’m getting at with all this is that you should have engaging conversations, ones that call for thoughtful responses and not just one-word replies, and you should be entirely sincere in them. Never consciously try to construct flirty messages. For example, don’t say, “You looked nice today” just because it sounds flirty. Only say it if you genuinely mean it, and perhaps make it more engaging by adding, “Did you have a presentation or something?” It doesn’t even matter if the answer is no! They’ll be flattered! Be yourself, be sincere, talk about common ground topics, and I promise you will succeed in showing interest (or being “flirty” if you want to call it that) perhaps without even realizing it! And if they can’t reciprocate, stop wasting your time with them!

Do we cop the booty sway, or does the booty sway cop us?

Always do your best to be in control of your booty, and be aware of what is going on with it. If you sway your booty, do it of your own volition. Do not be pressured by others. Let your booty sway to whatever rhythm suits you. Someday you may find a booty swaying to the same rhythm as your booty. Then your booties can sway together in perfect blissful harmony.

Courtesy of: HD Wallpapers

What is love?

Baby don’t hurt me, don’t hurt me no more. You set me up for that. Don’t even pretend you didn’t. But on to the question. What is love? That’s a pretty general question that I could spend days or maybe even weeks talking about. There are so many types of love. Love for your parents. For your siblings. For your children. For your friends. For your significant other. For abstract things like specific hobbies or activities. The list goes on. But I think the most general way you can answer this question to encompass everything is to say that love is an emotion or force involving a deep and intense appreciation and affection for someone (or something) because they satisfy some sort of deep need you may not have even realized you had, and (perhaps most importantly) it spurs you to do the same for them without considering it a nuisance or inconvenience to do so. When you love, you give someone or something the ability to break you into a million pieces, but you also grant them the ability to piece you back together in ways that make you more complete than you ever were before. That’s my take at least!

Trevor is a senior Creative Writing major at John Carroll University and an aspiring fiction writer. He hopes to pursue an MFA in Creative Writing. He enjoys words and storytelling, and he has also been known to enjoy mozzarella sticks.
Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.