This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

If you are currently a college student, if I could give you one piece of advice it would be to study abroad. If you are not interested in studying abroad; you could even intern or volunteer abroad. It does not have to be for an entire semester either, you can choose the length of your stay. I just returned from Nairobi, Kenya. I was volunteering for a few weeks at the Makimei Children’s Home. The experience was life-changing. It was my first time out of the country; I never would have thought that I would be traveling to Africa for my first trip out of America. As the time approached for me to leave for Nairobi, I must admit that I was filled with emotions. I was stressed, nervous, overwhelmed from the questions and concerns of family members, and, of course, I was excited to see what the trip was going to bring me.

A lot of people asked me how I ended up in Kenya. Well, as a senior in college during my Fall semester I was feeling too comfortable and as if I needed a change in life; better yet a challenge. I told myself, as well as my friends, that I was going to study abroad for my last semester in Africa. Most did not believe me, others told me to just relax and that I was fine; I would be graduating soon and to, “just stick it out.” I am not too good at listening to other’s people advice. I will always ask others what they think, but if they tell me not to do something it is not too likely that I will follow. So, I began researching on studying abroad in Ghana. After attending several meetings at my university, I was told that I had missed the deadline to study abroad for my Spring semester and if I was to do it through a program not at my university; I would not receive any funding from the school.

Never settle for “no,” as an answer. So, what did I do next; I began researching about volunteering abroad. I came across a program that I could complete over my winter break and I would be volunteering in an orphanage. Perfect. I major in Child Development and Family Relations, so this seemed perfect to me. I must be honest; the process is quite overwhelming, especially when it is your first time out of the country. Not only did my flight get canceled when it was my time to leave, but once I finally arrived in Africa, I was told that my luggage had been lost. I was in Africa with nothing for the first five days. Although, overall the experience was completely worth it. My view on the world changed. Knowing how much people complain about life, even over the little things; then visiting Africa and seeing how unfortunate some of these people are living is very humbling. I came across some of the most carefree and pleasant individuals in Nairobi, Kenya. Everybody was friendly and had smiles on their faces, even in the conditions they were living it completely shocked me, and made me quite angry as well.

I was volunteering in an orphanage that had no running water. Yet, we will stand at the sink in the morning while brushing our teeth not even appreciating the water that is coming out of the faucet. There were rats running around their home, flies landing on their food every second, kittens in the same crib as the babies, no toilets. The floor was the bathroom to the children. The conditions were devastating; but us Americans, who have it so good, do not appreciate the little things in life. After a few weeks in Kenya, I thought I was ready to come home. I was ready to get back to my hot shower, my clean kitchen, my own bed, other food than the every day rice and potatoes that I was eating. Then, not even a day being back in America I found myself saying that I missed Kenya. Which was completely true. Everything was so simple there. Everybody so content and happy, not worried about all the unnecessary things in life. Before you graduate college and the “real world,” hits you, go study or volunteer abroad. Even if it is for a week or two, it will change your entire perspective. Happy traveling!

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."