This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Listening to music inspires many of us in our daily lives, but only a small percentage of us take our musical muse any further than that simplest form of enjoyment. That small percentage constitutes those who actually make that music, those whose inspiration takes them one step further, those who inspire us. This weekend,we have the opportunity to experience some of these artists perform live at the WIUP FM show, including the brilliant RKS.

RKS is a rap artist from York, PA who has released multiple covers on YouTube,as well as some original work on mixtapes including his newest mixtape, “Moon Life.” He has preformed live multiple times over the past two years, opening up for other artists and groups and, every Monday, RKS puts a new cover on YouTube.

RKS draws his inspiration from a variety of rap artists including Eminem, Machine Gun Kelly, Mike Stud, D-Pryde, and Los. When speaking of these artists, he says, “They are all very different, but inspire me in so many ways.” Although RKS is inspired by these artists and often does covers of their songs, the creative process that comes with writing his own music is the core of his passion: “My favorite thing about making music is how creative I can be while writing. The freedom is endless, then that feeling you receive when you finish a record is unbelievable.”           

The real man behind RKS, and the origin of the name, is Ryan Keith Spencer. Ryan is a junior here at IUP and is determined to make a career out of his music. Although this is a difficult path to take, his inspiration and love of the art motivates him to, “grind everyday until that happens.”

Check out RKS on YouTube
Check out an RKS original

Although they are the few, they are the powerful. Whether you appreciate the genre or not, at least take some time to appreciate the process of creating music and support our local artists at IUP at the WIUP FM Underground Live show.

Shannon is a psychology major and sociology minor at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with special interests in the areas of emotion and interpersonal relationships. If you have any topic ideas or questions dealing with dating, relationships of any kind or parts of articles, feel free to leave a comment or contact her privately through the site!