This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s finally February, and the countdown to Valentine’s Day has begun. Those who are in relationships are looking high and low for the perfect gift to give their special someone. Nothing warms the heart more than knowing the one you love loves you back… unless they don’t.

Then you post those whiny post and statuses all over your social network accounts about how you don’t have a valentine, or how you wish you had one. You even go as far as to post them right after you notice that your secret crush has posted a status thinking that this will catch their attention. Guess what? It does catch their attention, just not in the way that it should have.  Those whiny post only make you sound clingy and desperate, and nothing is more unattractive then a needy, whiny, desperate girl. Guys want the girl who is confident enough to be her own valentine, or in other words, love herself first.

Always remember no one can love you like you can, not having a valentine doesn’t make you any less of a woman, and having a valentine doesn’t mean you are happily in love. Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you have to spend it with a significant other; Valentine’s Day is a day of love. Remember that some people don’t have mothers on Mother’s Day, or a father on Father’s Day.

So if you can’t be with the person who you wish would love you, love the people who you don’t have to be desperate for. Buy a friend a card, send your parents some flowers, give your roommate some candy, and then take the change and buy a present for the greatest love of your life…yourself.