Melanie Longenhagen: Freshman Hospitality Management Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“The struggle with college is fighting between the things that you have to do and the things that you want to do.” 

Melanie Longenhagen told me that on the way back from our riding lesson for the English Equestrian team. She is a Hospitality Management major and a Communications and Media minor from a town outside of Philadelphia. Mel choose IUP to explore this side of the state and it was something new. Her major has great classes and opportunities that will increase her experience. Mel wants to work within the Event Coordinating portion of the Hospitality Management career field and participate in the Disney College program in her future academic years. When she is not in class, Mel is an office worker in the Putt and Delaney resident hall offices, rides for the IUP English Equestrian Team, and a member of the Management Association club; she feels that through these activities she is getting hands on experience for her major on how to communicate and assist people. Freshman year for Mel has be a stressful and testing year, but she is learning that her hard work pays off because she made Dean’s List last semester.

Knowing that the stress will not get any lighter; she uses that stress to keep her on her toes and push herself to do her best. Mel manages her stress by having a good breakfast, a good night sleep, going to the gym, and taking time for herself. 

Mel’s advice for new freshman and people with hard days is whatever you are going through, you are not alone. There are multiple people sailing the same ship that you are, don’t be afraid to ask for help or reach out to resources, and don’t hold out for any untainable expectations. 

This freshman is excited for the summer and dying for the semester to be over, but she is not ready for her freshman year to end. Mel is learning that life flys by fast and embracing the unexpected surprises you. 

Hi, I am Katherine. I am a student at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I am a member of the IUP English Equestrian team, Sigma Tau Delta, and a Writer for IUP's HER Campus. I love to read, (books of all genres) write, knit, and travel (I visited England this summer). I am also a British Royal Family Fan. My top music favorites are Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Grace Potter, and Fleetwood Mac. My guilty pleasure is late night HPTV. Please check out my personal blogs-http://hiddeninthemargins.blogspot.com/ and http://wanderlustbound14.blogspot.com/