Maddie Nissel, Ski Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is none other than the vibrant and enthusiastic Maddie Nissel, the social chair of the Ski Club. As a senior at IUP, she studies speech pathology with a minor in audiology. Her other activities include ASL (American Sign Language) Club and participating in residence life by being a CA in University Towers. She also enjoys the outdoors with activities such as disk golf, hiking, and camping year-round, but the winter snow and degrees below freezing provide her with the perfect opportunity to exercise her impressive skiing skills.

As each week brings colder weather, we have a choice: either enjoy or avoid the weather. For the members of the Ski Club at IUP, the answer is obvious: hit the slopes! The Ski Club has been at IUP since before the Oak Grove felt its first snow. One of their main yearly activities happens in the fall when they team up with Seven Springs Ski Resort to sell half-price season passes. Whether it’s to tumble down the bunny hill or vault off the double black diamond terrain parks, the season passes sold by the Ski Club accommodate student budgets and provide for eventful weekend getaways. For updates about their other events such as the Rail Jam coming up on February 28, check out their Facebook page (RIDE IUP SKI CLUB) or Twitter (@IUPskiclub). 

Victoria Stone is a Freshman at IUP majoring in middle level education with a specialty in social studies. When she is not studying or eating, she enjoys spending her time outdoors, doing yoga, or attempting the impossible crafts on Pinterest. This year, her New Year's resolution is to run a 5K.