Books Every College Student Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

How to Win at College by Cal Newport

This book has something for every type of college student. While especially helpful for freshman, this book has information that can benefit anyone in any stage of their college career. The book is split up into small sections that are often less than a page long making it the perfect book that can be read in incredibly small bits whenever you have the time. Each section outlines a tip or suggestion used by other excelling students use. Pick the ideas that make most sense to you and implement them in your own studies. The author has also written several other books on similar subjects that you may find just as useful or more so.

Grace’s Guide by Grace Helbig

For those that like comedy, Youtube, and want some help doing basic (or complicated depending on how you see it), then this book is for you. The book is split up into sections each of which are to teach you a skill necessary to becoming a successful adult. Initially it may sound a little boring but any fan of Grace Helbig will tell you that she is hilarious. The book is filled with personal anecdotes making each chapter both helpful and incredibly relatable. Read this book and allow Grace Helbig to guide you to adulthood.

Debt Free U by Zac Bissonnette

This book is filled with useful information on how the author paid for his own college education and how you can use some of the same ideas in paying for your own education without the use of student loans or scholarships. I know it sounds like a crazy dream that only exists for a select few in this world today but much of the advice is incredibly useful. Bissonnette does more than retell his own college story or tell the reader how to finance their own education, he also has filled the book on useful information on subjects like loans both government and private. He breaks down concepts that many students often find confusing and difficult to navigate making this book a true gem in my opinion.

College Cooking by Megan Carle and Jill Carle

For those who have moved from dorms and dining hall food to apartments and cooking for themselves for the first time, this book is amazing. The book is broken down into many different sections each with a different topic. Topics include survival cooking, just like Mom makes, cooking for one, cheaps eats, and more. The cookbook starts out with an essentials guide detailing what sort of ingredients your kitchen should be stocked with and what kitchen tools are necessary and which are optional making it simple for even the newest of cooks. If you like the idea of this one, the authors have created many other cookbooks you may find useful including one for college vegetarians.

I'm currently a sophomore at IUP studying in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Someday I hope to be a history and ESL teacher. I like to spend my spare time watching movies and baking cookies.