This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s no doubt that the holidays are the best time of the year. You get some time off of school to spend with your family and friends, good food, everything looks beautiful, and it is a time of giving. But when you’re a college student, your wallet probably isn’t prepared to take a big hit for decorations. Here are some inexpensive ideas for decorations that won’t break the bank, but will definitely show your holiday spirit!

String lights – you can get these almost anywhere. I bought mine at Aldi for just a few dollars. These would be great to hang around a doorway or anywhere that might need brightened up.

Stockings – Any dollar store will most likely have inexpensive stockings. You can hang them up in your dorm or apartment and fill them with candy for your roommates.

Gift bows – instead of putting gift bows on top of presents, you could stick them to cupboards or the back of a desk/kitchen chair. It might be a bit tacky, but it is fun, easy, and inexpensive.

Centerpiece – Buy a clear, glass vase at Walmart or your local craft store and fill it with multicolored round ornaments. It looks very festive and colorful and takes just a minute to fill the vase

With some creativity and time, you can come up with great decorations that only cost a few dollars. Even if your decorations don’t turn out exactly how you want them, creating something is a great way to relax and get in the holiday spirit. Happy Holidays!

My name is Carolanne. I am a sophomore at IUP with a major in communications media. I enjoy writing and would love to work for a major magazine someday. When I am not busy with school, I enjoy doing artwork and spending time with my family, friends, and fiancé.