All You Need is Some Laughter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Whoever said laughter is the best medicine was definitely onto something. Laughter is far more contagious than any cough or sneeze.  When laughter is shared, a bond is created.  A simple laugh can ignite or spark a lasting friendship.  Surprisingly, laughter is actually good for your health, as well.  According to the Greater Health and Well Being guide, laughter relaxes the entire body.  It actually leaves your muscles relaxed for forty-five minutes each time you laugh.  Laughter also builds antibodies, which keeps those coughs and sneezes away.

Yes, laughter can actually prevent you from getting sick which is great to know during flu season.

Your body builds its immune system just by a simple laugh.  Also, blood vessel function increases while laughing, which can actually prevent heart attacks.  The list goes on and one with laughter.  Overall, laughter simply makes you feel good, whether you are watching your favorite movie or just simply talking to an old friend. 

There are many opportunities to allow laughter to enter our lives.  Again, we can watch a comical movie.  We can share a joke or story; we can read the Sunday comics.  Even playing with a small child or a pet can trigger a smile or a laugh.  We should always remember to count our blessings in life, to smile, and to make time for simple, yet enjoyable fun.  With the new semester, just a few weeks in, laughter can push that added stress away.  The work load may pile on us, but if we just take a few minutes for fun and relaxation, it can make a world of difference. Laughter is just around the corner.  So when you see someone laughing, join in.  Put yourself around individuals who make you feel good inside, who support you, and can make you laugh.  When feeling down, remember all the good things in life and the corners of your lips might just start to form a smile.  Never give up hope.  Even on a dark gloomy day, laughter is just a minute away. 

Source

http://www.helpguide.org/life/humor_laughter_health.htm

Hi I'm Amanda Petrunak. I am senior at IUP. I'll be graduating in the Spring with an English Degree and a Spanish Degree. I am a Feature Writer for Hercampus.