6 Things I learned Watching Gilmore Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Three generations of witty, headstrong women, a town full of eccentric personalities, and heart wrenching romances.  What’s not to love about the 2000’s TV hit Gilmore Girls?

For those of you who have never been so blessed as to have seen an episode, Gilmore Girls follows the life of bookworm Rory Gilmore and her single mother, Lorelai, who self-exiled herself from her well-to-do family after she had Rory as a teenager.  The close-knit relationship she shares with Rory is polar opposite of the one she has with her own mother.  As Rory grows up, both she and Lorelai experience their share of romance, both good and bad, and become the outstanding women they are at the end of the series.  Gilmore Girls portrays the real life experiences we all have through a lens of sarcasm, humor, and love.

1. Love Your Mom

The relationship that Rory and Lorelai have with one another is rare among mother-daughter relationships.  We all go through rough patches in our relationships with our moms.  Rory and Lorelai overcome many of these hard times by always being open and honest with each other.  If one doesn’t like a decision the other has made, she does not hide her opinion.  Although this sometimes results in more conflict, the strong communication that the two have is the biggest reason that they are able to understand and depend on each other in every situation.    

2. Follow Your Heart

Throughout the series, both Rory and Lorelai are forced to make some tough decisions.  Should Rory meddle in her ex’s new marriage?  Should Lorelai date Rory’s high school teacher?  Should Lorelai date one of her best friends?  The decisions that each woman makes directly affect her development as a person.  Gilmore Girls has taught me that no decision can ever be wrong if it feels right in your heart.  Everything happens for a reason and, at least on TV, concludes with a happy ending.

[pagebreak]

3. Its O.K. to Change

Gilmore Girls begins with Rory’s first day at a new high school and ends with her graduation from college.  She grows into a new person throughout the series.  In her growth, she learns that it’s O.K. to change your mind about which university is right for you or your feelings for your high school boyfriend.  Her friends and family do not hinder this change, but foster it.  Never be afraid to make a change in your own life or goals and never criticize others for doing so.     

4. Never Give Up

Rory is an A+ student who set her goals high and attended an Ivy League college.  This particular goal may be far-fetched for most of us, but everyone should follow the example that Rory sets in her habits.  She continues to persevere in her school work when it becomes difficult and in her relationship when her boyfriend struggles with personal issues.  In the same way, Lorelai never gives up on her dream to own and manage her own inn, eventually this dream becomes reality.  Modeling our actions after the Gilmore girls, we should keep our greatest aspirations in sight and make every decision with our goals in mind.

5. Appreciate Your Roots

Stars Hollow, home of the Gilmore girls, is a small town with quirky characters popping out of every door.  Although Rory is often embarrassed of the members of hometown, she never doubts the benefits of the experiences she has had.  Lorelai appreciates her own well-to-do roots in a different way.  She uses her childhood experiences as an example of the way in which she does not want to raise her own daughter.  Like the Gilmore girls, we should never regret our pasts, but use them to make our futures more successful and happy.

6. Eat Delicious Food   

In almost every episode, Rory and Lorelai can been seen eating delicious delicacies from their friends Suki and Luke, Lorelai’s mother’s chef, or a take-out restaurant.  These girls know how to appreciate good food.  So, forget about the calories and fat and— at least for one day— eat like a Gilmore girl!

Growing up, I wanted to be just like Rory and Lorelai.  In living my life by these 6 simple mottos, I have added a little Gilmore Girls to every day, making them each a little bit better.

Hailing from the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection, Junene is a current student at Indiana University of PA majoring in Journalism. She has three minors consisting of Communications Media, English: Film Studies track, and Religious Studies.She is the founding President/Editor in Chief of IUP's branch of Hercampus.com, and is the Founder/President of the IUP women's organization That's What She Said. She is also a current member of SPJ, ( Society of Professional Journalists) PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America), CSCR (Committee for the Study of Culture and Religion) and Vice President of the Religious Studies Club at IUP. She is the sole undergradate member of IUPs' Library Outreach and Marketing Committee and is a member of the Student Advisory Group. Junene is a first generation college student; her favorite film is The Usual Suspects and her favorite book is And Then There Were None, authored by Agatha Christie.