courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Things That Happen When Your Best Friend is Your Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

They say that the bond between sisters is unique and incomparable to other relationships in life. This couldn’t be truer for the girl whose best friend in the world is her sister. Describing the close friendship between two sisters to someone who doesn’t have a sister is difficult, but there are certain things that only happen when you best friend is your sister.

Here are six things that happen when you and your sister are best friends:

1.       You have more inside jokes than you can keep track of. 

All you have to do is give her a look and you’ll both start laughing. There’s never a dull moment with the two of you because you have fun no matter where you go. You’re constantly laughing and making jokes about things that no one else understands, and sometimes people feel like they’re third-wheeling you.  You and your sister have a wide array of inside jokes that always keep things interesting.

2.       You don’t know how to function without each other. 

When you’re not constantly together, being separated is a reality shock. Even a simple task like shopping can be a struggle. Is this shirt cute? Should I get the red one or the blue one? How does my makeup look today? You need your sister’s input with everything, because not only do you know that she’ll give you an honest answer, but because no one gets your style better than her.

3.       Nothing is off limits. 

There is nothing you can’t do or say to your sister. With other friends you might have to watch your words, there may be a limit, but not with her. Everything from periods to boys to the meaning of life is a conversation topic with the two of you, and you’re always open with each other.

4.       No friend you will ever have will know you better. 

Your sister knows what you look like when you wake up in the morning, what your favorite foods are, what books make you cry, what people you hate, what your dreams are. She knows you inside and out, not just from being around you so much, but also because you trust her with everything. You will have many friends during your lifetime who know you well, but no one will ever come close to knowing you as well as your sister does.

5.You share experiences and memories that no other best friends can understand. 

How many best friends can say that they were together for every holiday, every vacation, every family function, every fight, and every major stage of life? You and your sister have been through it all together, and nobody can ever come between you and those experiences.

6.You know that you’ll actually be best friends forever.

People grow and change throughout their lifetimes, and sometimes friendships don’t last forever. For you, you know you and your best friend will always be in each other’s lives. Having someone who you know will always be there for you is a comforting thing, and having that person be your sister is even better.

Angie Prencipe is a sophomore English Writing and Journalism undergrad at Indiana University of Pennsylvania..