Sorority Profile: The Return of Theta Phi Alpha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Unlike most years, this year Indiana University’s rush process will consists of 20 houses, instead of 19.  I had the opportunity to interview three members of Theta Phi Alpha and learn more about the sorority and great group of girls.

Theta Phi Alpha returned to IU this fall and will be part of the rush process in the winter.  The sorority left IU in the 50’s due to lack of interest.  However the sorority’s Public Relations Chair, Claire Turner, doesn’t think the group has anything to worry about this time around. 

IU is actively working on getting more National Panhellenic Council sororities on campus. Roughly 1,500-2,000 young women rush at IU, and the university wants all women who rush to find a sorority that they can make their home.  IU hopes that by bringing more sororities to campus, more women will get placed in houses.  Theta Phi Alpha is the first of the “new” houses to be brought to campus. 

Although Theta Phi Alpha will be part of the rush process this winter, it will be a slightly different process than that of the other sororities.  The group doesn’t have a house, so Potential New Members (PNMs) will meet the ladies of Theta Phi Alpha in the Indiana University Union.  Every PNM will be introduced to the ladies of Theta Phi Alpha during 20 party, but after that it will be more informal than the rest of the chapters, and PNMs will be able to re-visit Theta Phi Alpha during specific times of the remainder of rush. 

The other 19 sororities on campus have been very welcoming to Theta Phi Alpha.  Amanda Crothers, one of five Theta Phi Alpha seniors, said, “We’ve been invited to their houses and I’ve seen some lovely banners hanging from the houses, shout-out to Theta (Kappa Alpha Theta).”

Before being part of the rush process, Theta Phi Alpha needed members in their sorority.  Girls found out about potentially being a member through friends, Facebook, articles in the newspaper, and information fliers around campus.  Unlike most members of sororities, the girls of Theta Phi Alpha did not have the opportunity to meet each other before joining the house.  I was curious to how this would affect the dynamics of the group.

“We all have unique personalities, yet we’re all connected through the common bond of the Theta Phi sisterhood,” says External Vice President, Kate Drass.  “I definitely foresee many of these women as my friends for life. Everyone is so happy to have been given this experience.”

The IU community has welcomed Theta Phi Alpha with open arms, and Her Campus IU wishes them the best in their journey!

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes