etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Open Letter to 5 People I’m Grateful For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Parents

As an only child who recently left the nest for the first time, I am extremely grateful for my parent’s willingness to let me go out on my own and begin this new chapter of life. Whether they admit it or not, I know it was difficult for them to watch me leave the trifecta. Both of you have been nothing but supportive and loving the past nineteen years of my life and those qualities have only flourished since I’ve been away at college. I am extremely lucky to be able to call my parents my best friends this Thanksgiving and for every one to come.

Roommate

Who else would I want to share a tiny room with? Thank you for bringing me medicine when I’m sick, ordering copious amounts of food with me, telling me what to wear (and what not to), sharing your makeup with me, and most importantly, thank you for making the transition to college that much easier. I am not sure I could spend twenty hours a day with anyone else.

New College Friends

If you guys knew how awkward I felt when I first walked in to each of your rooms, I don’t know if you would want to be my friends. For the first few weeks or so, I refrained from sharing my sarcastic comments or not-so funny jokes (now that you know me, it is hard to picture life without them). As time has passed we’ve only grown closer. It has become second nature to walk into each other’s rooms and take food and clothes or lay on each other’s beds even when no one is home. Thank you for making me feel comfortable, being weird, laughing at my stupid comments and living life as a college freshman with me.

Best Friends from Home

I miss you and I am forever grateful for all the moments we shared together. You guys have been by my side every stage of life thus far. You remained my friends when I played every sport known to man, when I dressed as a boy, when I wore hats all the time, when I had side bangs and braces (and not only is that shocking, but it is admirable). I appreciate the fact that we talk every day to make sure we are on track. I appreciate that our group chat is constantly active. And most importantly, I appreciate you being my best friends. 

Professors

On a more jovial note, you have managed to make me want to come to class and for that, I am forever grateful.

Title Image Source*