Motivations to Go to Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

*Beep. Beep. Beep.* Snooze. Does this pattern sound familiar to you? We know that you’re missing classes to catch up on beauty sleep. Some mornings it can be a struggle to get out of your warm, comfy bed. Unlike high school classes, most college lecture classes are not mandatory to attend. Due to large class sizes, most professors don’t even take attendance. This makes it quite easy for your absence to go unnoticed. Despite this, going to class is an important part of being a college student. It may seem super easy to miss a class or two once in a while for something better, but it’s time to break that nasty habit and start going to class! Here are some motivations to stop skipping and start attending.

1. Cost: Every college class at IU costs money to attend. Missing class is like throwing your money out the window. As bright young Hoosiers, we know money doesn’t grow on trees. Go to class and get the most out of your tuition. We never said you had to pay attention, just go.
  2. Grades: In order to maintain good grades, it is vital to know the material being introduced and discussed in class. You’ll never know what you missed on that day of class, and chances are your friends notes consist of drawings of hearts and butterflies. The information you miss will probably come back to haunt you when it appears on the final exam.

3. Treat Yourself: Treat yourself to something yummy such as a piping hot brew of coffee or a creamy ice cold Frappuccino from Starbucks in the Union. It’s a great way get yourself through the day by looking forward to that little something that will perk you up. You deserve it.

4. Assignments, Exams, and Quizzes: Keep track of when you have an in-class quiz or assignment. They might only be worth 5 points, but those points add up when you keep missing class!  Making sure you know what is due and when is also important. Definitely don’t miss class on days that papers are due or you have a test. 

5. Wear your favorite outfit: Get yourself out of those slouchy sweats and into something you feel extra confident in. Looking and feeling your best will inspire you to get out of bed and show yourself off around the campus, on your way to class, and in the classroom.

What is your motivation to succeed? 

Abby is currently a senior majoring in Journalism at Indiana University Bloomington. Hoping to pursue a career in writing, whether that be newpaper, online, magazine, or PR, she is incredibly passionate about her future in journalism. When she's not writing, she spends much of her free time shopping, volunteering at the IU Auditorium, cheering on her fellow Hoosiers, rewatching her favorite 80's movies, and sipping iced coffee at Starbucks.