5 Best Places to Study on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

Ever wondered where the best places on (and off) campus are to study?  I’ve been doing my share of studying lately and through the course of my “adventure” I have come up with a list of the best places to study on the IU campus.

1.     Starbucks—No I’m not talking about the cute little lounge with the fireplace and comfy couches (although if you can find room in there, it’s a pretty great place), I’m talking about the sitting area outside Starbucks.  As I sat there drinking my latte and studying for my Italian test, I felt like I was somewhere else… until the screeching of the bus startled me from my reverie, but that’s beside the point.  Sitting there I actually wanted to study!  There were no distractions and I felt relaxed.

2.     Arboretum—An advantage of studying here all the grass is unlikely to be taken up, so you’ll always find a place to sit.  I suggest bringing a blanket of some sort unless you’re okay with that uncomfortable feeling of the grass underneath you.  Try not to be distracted by the occasional person practicing yoga or karate. 

3.     Barnes and Noble— I love reading and books, so studying at Barnes and Noble helped me to concentrate.  Being surrounded by books makes you feel like you should be studying.  Also a plus of studying at Barnes and Noble is if you’re struggling with a subject chances are they have some sort of book to help you!

4.     Church (IMU)— Although I haven’t studied here yet, I heard the little church next to the IMU is a great place to study.  It’s quiet, and probably not a lot of people think to study here.  Maybe being in a place of worship will help stimulate your mind.  It’s a great place to do some deep thinking!

5.     Laundry Room— Okay I know this sounds crazy, but it’s so true! No one would ever think to study here.  You’re alone, you can concentrate, and you could even blare your music as loud as you want (fellow laundry-doers might appreciate the tunes!).  As people come in and out they will probably ask what you’re doing.  You may even find a few people who are in the same classes as you!

Don’t study places you know you’ll be distracted like your dorm room, in your bed, or the sports bar down the street.  Also I have found that studying in places that smell strongly of food make me more worried about my growling stomach than my failing calculus grade!

Courtney Kabbes is a junior at Indiana University. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in apparel merchandising. When she's not busy updating Her Campus IU and promoting their site, she works as the Vice President of Social Media for the Retail Studies Organization and Ed2010 at Indiana. Some of her favorite things include shopping, mint chocolate chip ice cream, New York City, Bikram yoga, and spending time with her two favorite people: her mother and sister. Did we forget to mention her slight obsession with Pinterest? www.pinterest.com/ckabbes