Was the #AerieMan Campaign just a hoax?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Since its launch in 2014, the #AerieREAL Campaign has proven to be quite the success. Not only have they seen a spike in sales, but the brand’s image has also improved as a result of their movement for body positivity. Aerie vowed to kiss retouching goodbye as part of their new motto, “The REAL You is Sexy.” Their campaign features women such as Emma Roberts and curvy model Barbie Ferreira, who speak out about the importance of body positivity, especially for young girls.

When the company introduced their #AerieMAN campaign video on YouTube last month, the praise was overwhelming. Men are often overlooked when it comes to issues of low self-esteem and eating disorders—not too surprising, considering women typically experience greater pressure to live up to beauty standards. Of course, that is not to say that men’s body image is any less important. That’s why it was so refreshing to see Aerie step up to the plate and include males in the conversation.

So what happened when rumors surfaced that Aerie Man was a not-so-funny April Fools joke? A digital uproar ensued. The Internet was shocked and disappointed that the company would poke fun at celebrating men’s bodies after so genuinely championing the same issue for women. However, Aerie has clarified that the April Fools’ Day Parody Video uses humor to raise awareness about their serious vow to stop retouching male models come holiday 2016. They’ve even donated $25,000 to the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA).

Caught up in the controversy and confusion, many people are still angry, or at least skeptical, about Aerie’s integrity. Unfortunately, the brand’s comedic attempt at appealing to a male audience took a sour turn. Body positivity and self-love are very real issues for both women and men—not something to be mocked. Well-intended or not, Aerie may have some serious work to do in order to redeem themselves.

PC: 1, 2

Ithaca College 2018. Integrated Marketing Communications.