Thrift Minded: A Collegiette’s Guide to the Ithaca Salvation Army

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Goal: Go to Salvation Army (for the first time!) and purchase some great clothes on a not-so-great budget.

Budget: All of the money I have in my wallet.  So basically I went shopping with six dollars. 

Mission Report:  The Salvation Army is huge, I’ve never seen one so large!  And there’s a great selection of clothes for girls and guys.  Never having been at the Ithaca Salvation Army before, I was told that there was a terrible selection for Colligettes, which was a total lie.

I didn’t have any products in mind as I went shopping, but I was immediately attracted to the long line of blazers.  I have never seen so many different colors of blazers in my entire life!  I flipped through the rack and found this great magenta blazer.  It was edgy, fun, and only three dollars.

I went to the skirt rack next.  Not the best selection, but I did find this great old-school skirt; tan, pink, and teal houndstooth print (it looked better than it sounds).  I knew that I had nothing in my closet to match it, but I tried it on for fun anyway. Not to be conceited, it looked great on, but it was four dollars, and I was not leaving that store without my magenta blazer.

Sidenote: College men, don’t fear!  There was a great blazer section for men.  One of my guy friends went shopping with me and found a cool woven vest and an awesome tweed jacket.  He had to look hard for it, but he spent nine dollars for both pieces!  Totally worth the search.

I couldn’t see any inspiring pieces in the clothing racks, so I followed my guy friend around for a while.  He went through the men’s sweater section and found the coziest sweater.  It’s black with a gray zig-zag pattern and as soon as he tried it on, I was mega-jealous.  He decided he didn’t like the fit and I may as well have snatched it from his hands.  As an over-sized sweater, it was great for me.  And only three dollars!  It was perfect for my budget and as a conclusion to my mission.

Mission Results:  I bought two great pieces for six dollars!  Definitely a mission accomplished, considering I can buy half of a sleeve for six dollars at Urban Outfitters.  For all you fashionistas at Ithaca College, make sure that you stop at the Salvation Army on your next shopping trip!

Lessons Learned: 
·      Double-check the quality of the garment before you buy it. You can never be too careful!
·      Don’t be afraid to try the silly things on! Have fun while you shop.
·      Venture into other sections of the store.  Whether it’s the men’s section, the furniture section, or the VHS section, you never know what treasures you’ll find.
·      Have fun! Because what’s the point of shopping if you don’t have any fun with it?

Tessa Crisman is a sophomore (class of 2014) at Ithaca College, where she is studying as a sociology major with Spanish, environmental studies, and Latin American studies minors. Tessa is a Spanish and Arabic tutor for Ithaca College's Academic Enrichment Services, as well as a resident assistant for Residential Life. She is also an active member of IC Intercambios, which allows her to visit local farms to teach English to migrant workers, and of the Committee for Inclusive Education, a group promoting ethnic studies programs at Ithaca College and beyond. When she's not writing papers or handing out noise violations, Tessa enjoys knitting socks, going to the farmer's market, and dancing like there's no tomorrow. She plans to pursue a career in sustainable agriculture and food justice advocacy.