No Spring Yet in Ithaca – But There is Spring Awakening!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

The Ithaca College Department of Theater Arts is renowned for its incredible talent and beautiful performances, and this spring, the Ithaca community is getting quite the treat.

IC has brought Broadway’s Tony-dominating musical Spring Awakening to the Dillingham Center, having opened in Clark Theater on March 26th.  The musical, based on the play by Frank Wedekind, explores the dark aspects of teen sexuality, and the neglectful teaching by the children’s parents and teachers. The risky actions and alternative rock score have made Spring Awakening, on Broadway, into one of the most distinguished and talked-about performance of its time. 

The IC cast and crew of Spring Awakening certainly brought the story to life in the Clark Black Box Theater. The intimate seating surrounding the experimental stage allowed the audience to get the full effect of the work put into the controversial, yet breath-taking show. The play really encompasses everything: tragedy, comedy, sex, romance, and imagination. In the end, the cast and crew did an extraordinary job of telling the story.

Directed by Norm Johnson, Ithaca’s rendition of Spring Awakening, which sold out in early February, runs in the Clark Theater until April 6th.

A job well done to the Ithaca College Theater Department!

Broadcast Journalism Major, a.k.a. TVR with a minor in Journalism. Aspiring entertainment/sports reporter. I'm crafty, I like red skittles and sometimes I wish I were Holly Golightly. Follow me on twitter, @LynziDeLuccia ! #please
Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!