7 Things To Be Thankful For This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Thanksgiving Break is finally in sight, and while we all can’t wait to put aside the pressure and stress of the everyday routine, we do need to keep something in mind: this break means that we will be celebrating Thanksgiving, and it is important to reflect on all of the things that we are thankful for in our lives.So as you go home for this lovely, nine day break (thanks IC!), here are seven things you should be thankful for and how you can show it!

1. Food: Sounds basic, right? However, if you really think about it, so many people in the world are not as fortunate as we are, and therefore may not have access to the quality and/or quantity of food that we have. When you sit down at the table with your turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, remember how lucky you are to have these things, and maybe even consider donating non-perishable food items to your local food pantry for those who are less fortunate.

2. Family and Friends: Thanksgiving is one of the best times to recognize how thankful you are for your family and friends. Even though they are not with us for majority of the time we are at school, they still always support us in our successes and our struggles. To show them how great they are and that you’re grateful for them in your life, spend some good quality time together and catch up over the break.

3. Technology: After the power outages caused by Hurricane Sandy, we should realize now more than ever how thankful we are for not only electricity, but the technology that allowed us to stay in touch with our families and friends back home. We should also be thankful for technology because it is a really influential part of our culture. Thanksgiving Break is the perfect time to catch up on TV shows that you can’t usually keep up with at school, or to update your social media profiles.

4. School: While we may not always enjoy going to classes and doing assignments, we should be thankful that we have the opportunity to attend Ithaca College and receive a high-quality education that will help us for the rest of our lives. To show how thankful you are, you should try to either catch up on your assignments or get ahead so you can feel less stressed for when you get back!

5. Clothes: Clothes are one of the most important parts of your life look good. While you’re home, stop by the mall or any kind of store. Even if you don’t end up buying anything, you might get inspiration on how to wear the pieces that you already have and love!

6. Health: Health is one of those things that you realize you have, but only when someone brings it up. Regardless, it is one of the most important things we can have in life, and we should recognize this. To keep yourself mentally healthy, take time to relax—get a massage or curl up with a good book. To stay physically healthy, take a trip to the gym, or go for a nice walk or two before it gets too cold outside.

7. Opportunities: Thanksgiving Break is the perfect time to reflect on the opportunities we have now and in the future. The goal of college is to prepare us for our careers and the rest of our lives, and Ithaca College has amazing connections to alumni and other successful people all across the board. Even though it is a bit early, start trying to make connections with people who have careers similar to what you hope to do in the future. Also, look into the opportunities that you can take advantage of throughout your time at IC, such as study abroad or membership in all types of clubs.

Have a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving!

Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!