7 Christmas Songs To Love This Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Well it’s Christmas Eve, so that means to cue in the Christmas music!

One of the best things about the holiday season is the Christmas music we all know and love. We wait until Thanksgiving, and no sooner, to start playing these holiday jams and then listen to these songs everywhere: the dorm room, the library, parties, and the car (and we don’t care to hear the same songs on the radio over and over again). Christmas songs just make us collegiettes so happy and ready to share joy with family and friends.  

Here is a list of some of the best Christmas songs we can’t stop playing:

1. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays “And all the love will show. ‘Cause everybody knows it’s Christmastime…” As a 90s child, I just adore this song and also it reminds me of how much I miss JT singing. This was the first holiday song my friends blasted in their dorm room and it is so much fun to dance to. The lyrics and tune are so catchy and fun; this is truly the perfect Christmas jam!

2. Baby, It’s Cold Outside“You’ve really been grand, but don’t you see? How can you do this thing to me?” I first heard this song when I watched Elf way back in 2003 and the Zooey Dechanel and Leon Redbone cover is still one of my favorites! The reason this Christmas song is so lovable is not just because it makes for a beautiful duet but it has a great boy chases girl story that is not necessarily just for the holidays. Some other versions of this song that I love are Hayley Reinhart and Casey Abrams, Colbie Caillat and Gavin Degraw, and the classic Rod Stewart and Dolly Parton duet. Feel free to check them out!

3. All I Want For Christmas (Is You) “I don’t want a lot for Christmas this is all I’m asking for. I just want to see my baby standing right outside my door.” This usually the first song I play during the holiday season and it is definitely on its way to becoming a new Christmas classic. Let’s be honest here, who doesn’t like an upbeat Mariah Carey song about being with the one you love for Christmas? Swoon. So this Christmas get out your hairbrushes and your best girls and belt to this hit song.

4. Jingle Bell Rock “What a bright time, it’s the right time to rock the night away!” Although this song has been around for ages, it has made this list all thanks to the movie, Mean Girls.  Since 2004 we have been practicing the dance moves of Cady, Regina, Gretchen, and Karen (well maybe not all of them). But still we love this song whether we dance or sing a capella to it…and that’s the Jingle Bell Rock!

5. My Only Wish (This Year) “Santa can you hear me? I have been so good this year.” When Brit Brit came out with a new Christmas single my seven-year-old self was dying! And to this day we can’t get enough of this song. In high school during the volleyball candy cane tournament in gym class, this song was played once a class. Of course instead of playing volleyball the girls would all belt some Brit. It’s a perfect holiday and nostalgic song that we all love!

6. Santa Baby “Santa Baby, slip a sable under the tree, for me. I’ve been an awful good girl.” Sweet, sexy, and playful-those are just some of the reasons why I love “Santa Baby.” It is a really cute and fun song that all girls can appreciate. And sometimes it’s okay to be a little naughty on Christmas!

7. Last Christmas “Now I know what a fool I’ve been. But if you kiss me now, I know you’ll fool me again.” Now this is my favorite Christmas song because am a huge fan of Wham! Also Christmas doesn’t always have to be happy; breakup songs are totally cool during this holiday. I love the sweetness, passion, and lyrics of this song.

Hi HC readers!! My name is Carly and I am the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Ithaca College. I am currently majoring in Integrated Marketing Communications and minoring in Communication Management and Design and the Honors Program.  When I am not focusing on my studies or Her Campus, I enjoy singing, shopping, and watching reality television shows. I love writing and I am glad I am able to express my thoughts through Her Campus Ithaca. If you go to Ithaca and would love to get involved in writing for or promoting HCIC, send me an email at carlyschneer@hercampus.com. Keep Calm and Read On!