Why Women Should Always Feel Confident While Working Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

This campus has 42,000 students, faculty and community members all with access to only two fitness centers. This means that the chances of running into that cutie from your building, that hottie from class or anyone of the opposite sex are pretty high. These fitness centers are filled with men and women who are all want a healthy body and a great workout. In my three years here, and I have yet to see a sign posted giving men full priority over the use of free weights, squat racks and pull up bars. So women, walk up and don’t be afraid to claim an open spot especially if it’s during that 5 p.m. rush.

Women may want to shed some extra pounds, tone their triceps, or firm up their glutes so they can be as confident and radiant as ever in a tank and tight jeans. For some reason we tend to be a little more self conscious about who might be watching us while we work out. We may be unsure if we are squatting correctly or lifting heavy enough weights–but who cares! The impressive part is that we came to the gym in the first place!

So, ladies sprint around the track as if Channing Tatum is waiting at the finish line and life those five pound dumbbells with pride. Who cares about the buff guy next to you pumping the 85 pounders. Also, if you’re unsure of how to do a certain workout or if a machine is too confusing, go right ahead and ask a fellow gym goer for some assistance. Chances are slim that they’re going to judge your working out capabilities. In fact, they will probably be flattered you asked.  

You should never be ashamed of what you’re doing at the gym or how you are doing it. It’s the fact that it’s midterm season and you’re dedicated to staying healthy that is impressive. If you want to do squats 4 times a week, or wear the same shirt every time you run, go for it.

Too many times I have witnessed women attempt the basement of the ARC but as soon as they look down the stairs and don’t see any other females, they make a subtle wrap around the railing and head for the locker room instead. As a female who works out pretty regularly I too am guilty, because in my three years of exercising at the ARC, I still can’t get myself to conquer

the basement.

Next time you’re at one of the ARC or CRCE, you should feel extremely confident as you head to the basement to tackle some weights. The boys would probably be happy to see some women around down there anyways. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up with a new workout partner or the perfect plus 1 to your next date event.

Photos: Google Images

Jaime is from southern Illinois (NOT Chicago) and a student at the University of Illinois studying Chemistry/Pre-chiropractic.  Her dream is to work for an NFL team as their chiropractor.  She drinks an ecessive amount of black coffee, only wears black, thinks she is a Disney princess, takes too many Buzzfeed quizzes, works out religiously, prefers snow and negative temperatures over the beach, and jams to Lady Gaga.  She is extremely patriotic and bleeds red, white, and blue whenever the opportunity is presented. Tumblr:  jaimemcauliffe.tumblr.comInstagram:  instagram.com/jaimemcauliffe
Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter