The Truth Behind the Cuffing Season Phenomenon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As we head into the spring and summer seasons, people are ready to take in the sun, show off their hard work at the gym and drop their pre-existing titles from their winter relationships. March marks the end of cuffing season:  when people change their Facebook relationship status from taken to single.

So what is this cuffing season phenomenon? Lets start off with a definition.

Cuffing season is a time when people who would normally prefer to be single find themselves looking to be tied down in a serious relationship. Cuffing season is common when it is cold outside, when there are inches of snow on the ground and when no one wants to leave the house. Being isolated in the house usually causes singles to long for late night cuddling sessions, cups of hot chocolate and a companion to talk to. You can expect cuffing season to become effective anywhere from September to February.

As this transition comes into place, people get asked on more dates, “hey stranger” texts appear and, usually, Drake releases an album that doesn’t help us avoid feeling emotional about past relationships. I’m not complaining, though!

Now, once the sun and warmth makes a long-awaited appearance after a small hiatus, people tend to distance themselves from the idea of exclusivity. For some odd reason, promiscuity seems to be a more accepted concept in the summer.

Don’t rush it

Don’t rush into a relationship just because you’re lonely. In dating, it takes time if you plan to find a keeper. Don’t settle for good enough. It’s important he knows the little things like you’re favorite color, what you like on your pizza and what makes you happy. Don’t come on strong and let things unfold one day at a time.

Treat it like a real relationship despite the season

If you think short term, those are the results you’ll get. Discuss ahead of time what you want with your partner. If you want a serious relationship for years to come, you have to make sure your partner is on the same page. If the relationship isn’t working, don’t be afraid to end it. Always know your worth; if you don’t like the idea of being picked up and then thrown away because of the seasons, don’t allow it.

All in all, if you’re on board for some seasonal loving, go for it! Have fun with it, cuddle up on those snowy days and trade your number with some cuties on those hot days in June. But as spring approaches, it’s time to decide if you’re going to keep your man by your side or return him back to the dating pool. Good luck choosing.

Photo Sources:

http://vodkaandcupcakesdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/its-been-forever.gif

http://vodkaandcupcakesdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/cuff.png

I'm Yele Ajayi and I'm a freshman at Univ. of Illinois majoring in broadcast journalism. I love writing, dancing, and singing. :D