Things that Every College Girl Needs in Her Backpack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Notebooks, a laptop, pens and pencils are all things you probably remember to pack in your backpack. But what about the other little essentials that may be forgotten in the rush of hurrying to class? No worries, we’ve got you covered. Here are 10 items girls should have in their backpack to get through the day.

Lip Balm/Lotion

These two items are definite backpack essentials. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve applied EOS or Burt’s Bees lip balm throughout the day to keep my lips nourished and moisturized. Don’t forget a travel size bottle of lotion for dry hands.

Water bottle

Staying hydrated is important and an easy way to get in your daily amount of water is to keep a water bottle in your backpack. Besides not having to leave class if you’re thirsty, sipping water throughout class or in between your classes can keep you feeling refreshed and energized.

Hand sanitizer

Let’s say the bathroom ran out of soap. You don’t want to walk around with germ-infested hands, so always carry hand sanitizer. Always. You never know when it will come in handy, and you’ll be glad you did.

Tissue

Keep Kleenex handy for tears, a runny nose or spills. You especially want to carry a packet during the winter months when half the campus seems to be sick. Thank me later.

Gum/mints

Your onion or garlic breath will thank you when you have to talk to someone. Play it safe and keep either gum or mints in the pocket of your backpack for fresh breath.

Planner

Organization is key in college. I love keeping my planner on me to jot down my assignments or write memos to myself that I may forget later. It’s also helpful when I’m trying to figure out what I can fit in my schedule. Trust me ladies, use a planner.

Tampons, pads, etc.

Be prepared for your period by carrying some sort of feminine product in your backpack because, let’s face it, the 25 cent tampons provided by the university aren’t the best. Maybe even have a couple extra for another girl in need. Pay it forward, right?

Phone charger

I rarely leave my apartment without my phone charger, especially when I have back-to-back classes. It’s convenient and you won’t have to worry about your phone not making it through the day. If you have to question it, bring it.

Snacks

If you’re anything like me, you need a snack or two to get through the day. Things come up and you may not be able to go home for lunch as planned, or you need something to tithe you over until you can eat. Either way, do yourself and your stomach a favor and carry some snacks.

Compact mirror

Bathrooms can get crowded and you may not want to wait in line just to check yourself out in the mirror. Perfect for on the go, compact mirrors solve this problem. It’s small, so there’s no reason this can’t make it as one of your must-have backpack items.

Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Photo 4