gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Relationships: Five Love Lessons From Celebrity Couples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Despite the many jokes we make about how irritating celebrity couples can to be, we still have this strange fascination with their every move. I can’t pretend I haven’t stalked a celebrity’s Instagram to see their date nights or chosen a specific aisle in Wal-Mart just to read the gossip magazine on the side of the checkout line.

With all jokes aside, there are love lessons we can learn from celebrities. Take a look at these five celebrity couples that can stir us in a direction of what to do and not do in relationships.

Beyoncé and Jay-Z: Show, don’t tell

Sometimes when we get in relationship, we want the world to know whom we’re with and all the small details in between. As nice as that might be, a private relationship is a successful relationship; It’s better to show than to tell. Take it from Beyoncé and Jay-Z, a power couple who kept their relationship private for years even before coming out publically. The chances of seeing Beyoncé and Jay hosting her own reality show or bearing out all their dirty laundry for Twitter are slim to none.

Don’t hesitate to keep your relationship private; it might even save you from a potential falling out.

Will and Jada Smith: Be Friends First

In order to have a successful relationship, you have to be friends first. When you have each other’s back and you’re able to be their lover and their best friend, the romance will blossom. Will and Jada Smith have been married now for 16 years, and still can be goofy, crazy and just themselves around each other. They both act as a backbone and support system to one another in order to make it last.

Before you jump into your next relationship, make sure you can confide in this person and be yourself. If you can’t act natural, then it probably wasn’t meant to be.

Jennifer Garner and Ben Affleck: Stay Grounded

Not all relationships need the glitz and glamour. Sometimes being grounded keeps everything simple. Jennifer and Ben both share a home in Boston away from the limelight and distractions of Hollywood. They refuse to let materialistic possessions and status control their life.

In every relationship you enter, you should focus on the love you share and forget outside distractions that deter from your happiness.

Chris Brown and Rihanna: Second chances are not always necessary

Although this couple has thrown in the towel, a lot can be learned from them on what to avoid. After going through a physical altercation with Brown in 2009, Rihanna decided to give their relationship a second chance in 2012. The couple made it the first few months but eventually realized their love had reached a dead end.

These two can teach us that even when you love someone, if they are constantly hurting us, physically or mentally, it’s not a relationship worth being in. Sometimes, second chances are not always necessary. If you broke up the first time, there probably was a reason that will resurface in the future.

Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries: Build a solid foundation

Although Kim Kardashian is now living happily with her newborn baby and 15-carat diamond engagement ring given to her from her now fiancé, Kanye West, she still has had her share of ups and down in the relationship department. Kim Kardashian was married last year to Kris Humphries. As she flashed her relationship all over television, it was questionable if she was getting married for love or for the idea of marriage.

From Kim and Kris, it’s important to learn that every relationship needs a solid foundation if it plans to last. External factors such as family, gossip, the spotlight and attention shouldn’t overtake the original reason you got in the relationship in the first place.

Photo Credits:

http://weheartit.com/entry/476…

I'm Yele Ajayi and I'm a freshman at Univ. of Illinois majoring in broadcast journalism. I love writing, dancing, and singing. :D