Meet Campus Celeb Kelsey Sutherland, President of PRSSA!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Whether it’s interning at a talent agency in LA or serving as Director of PR for Ebertfest, Kelsey Sutherland, junior at UIUC, is already off to an amazing start in her career. Her Campus sat down with the Public Relations Student Society of America President to learn more about her experiences in the industry and what advice she has for students wanting to pursue PR.

Her Campus: How did you first become interested in public relations?

Kelsey Sutherland: I first became interested in public relations watching the award shows’ red carpets as a child and wanted to know who the people were with the celebrities setting up the interviews. I then learned these people were publicists and wanted to learn everything about the pubic relations field as I could. Public Relations originally attracted me to its field for its non-traditional and creative setting. One of my favorite aspects of PR is that it’s an extremely dynamic and growing industry that requires you to be current in all aspects of the media.

HC: Can you tell us about your experience in the industry so far?

KS: I had the wonderful opportunity to intern for “Chicago Sun-Times: Splash.” I loved the fast-pace and creative energy at “Splash.” I was able to learn about and assist in all departments of the publication, not just the events department that I specifically interned in. This past summer I interned at Mavrick Artists Agency, a full-service talent agency in Los Angeles. Always wanting to work in entertainment, a talent agency was the best place to have jumpstarted my entertainment career as it provides an overall understanding of the industry. Entertainment is the type of industry that’s completely experiential, similar to PR, so it’s vital to learn how every facet operates. It was extremely demanding, high-pressured, and tough, but I gained my strongest professional skills, especially in client services, from this internship.

HC: What has been your experience been like working with Ebertfest?

KS: Working for Ebertfest has been an incredible experience. It’s really a unique festival, filled with great people who love movies and are a pleasure to work with. Looking back on everything my team and I have done PR wise for Ebertfest, I’ve very proud to help continue the life of Ebertfest although Ebert himself has unfortunately passed. It required a lot of hours and hard work, but it is definitely worth it, especially seeing the festival happen this week.

HC: What are your career goals? How is PRSSA helping you achieve them?

KS: I’ve wanted to work in the entertainment industry since I can remember, and I continue to seek that career path. Originally, I wanted to be a publicist to celebrities. I’ve also gained a wide network of contacts through PRSSA. Between learning how to professionally approach potential contacts and using my current network to introduce me to new contacts was just one way PRSSA strengthened my network. Of course, Ebertfest was PRSSA’s first client last year and continues to be.

HC: What are your plans for this summer?

KS: I will be back in LA this summer, which I’m extremely excited about! I love LA’s culture and people and for entertainment, it’s really where you have to be to further your career and build your network. At this time, I have been offered an internship with ID Public Relations in their talent department. ID is one of the top PR firms in the industry, representing some of my favorite actors such as Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, Emilia Clarke and more.

HC: Do you have any advice for students wanting to pursue a career with public relations?

KS: I strongly advise students to get as much experience under their belt by the time they graduate as possible. PR is all about connections and experience. Although it might not seem favorable as first, take the unpaid internship if that’s your only option. It’s so much better to have some experience, even if it were not in the industry you’d prefer like fashion or entertainment for instance, than none.

Molly is currently a senior at the University of Illinois studying Communication. As a self-described fashionista and retail-therapy junky, she's working towards a career in public relations in the fashion industry. When she isn't obsessing over fashion magazines or watching Law and Order, Molly is very involved with her sorority, where she has served multiple leadership positions.