Love: A Long-Standing Engagement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

People do things at their own pace, especially when it comes to life changes like marriage. My fiancé’s name is Noe, and we got engaged this summer after being together for over two years. I didn’t tell any of my friends until I requested a candle pass at my sorority house during work week, and then suddenly, everyone knew.

People always assume I’m having my wedding sometime in the next year, but actually, we don’t have any immediate plans. Some people think we’re making a big mistake and that we should enjoy our youth. Who said I wasn’t? I’m having a great time at college. I’m having even more fun because I have my best friend by my side (well, not literally since we go to different schools.)

I love the fact that I’m engaged at a young age. So many people wait until after graduation to even think about it, but I’m just not one of those people. I know perfectly well what I’m getting myself into, and I got engaged at the perfect time. I’ll give you five reasons why.

I found the perfect guy

Why should I wait to get engaged if I know this is the guy I’m going to spend the rest of my life with? We know we’re going to be together forever, so we got engaged and made it official. He’s my best friend, partner in crime, other half and permanent date. I struck gold with Noe, so I had no reason to wait.

I’m not getting married anytime soon

We have to graduate, get jobs and save some cash before we can even think about planning a wedding. We’re waiting at least three years from now to get married. Right now, I’m enjoying being in the spotlight and having friends and family asking to see my sparkly ring. It’s one time in my life where I get to be a bit of a diva. Well, until my actual wedding day.

My family supports our decision

My parents were a little skeptical when I first told them Noe and I were planning on getting engaged. It took a while before they stopped thinking it was a joke and took us seriously. But after telling them that we had no immediate plans to get married, they were relieved and actually really excited that I chose a great guy.

More time to save money means a bigger and better wedding

I’ve dreamed of a big wedding right in our hometown of Chicago. Iwant to go all out. I want a big dress, a fancy venue with a view of the skyline and we want all of our family and friends there. The one thing we want to make sure happens is that no one important gets left out. So this means, we need a lot of money. Most couples get married within a year of getting engaged but because we have so much time, we can save all our pennies and eventually be able to buy everything we want for the big day without having to worry about if we can afford it (and without having to ask our parents for money).

I have something to look forward to every day

My present to myself after graduating is finally making the guest list, picking the venue, setting a date and finding a dress. I love planning, and planning a wedding is better than any other event. Yes, even prom and formal. Once you finally get married, all that big-time excitement is gone. So for right now, I’m loving the waiting period.