Let’s Talk About Boobs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

“They’re too small, they hang too much, one is bigger than the other, they make your left foot look too big” — everyone is obsessed with creating the illusion of perfect boobs.

Young women’s body image gets destroyed on a daily basis with airbrushed models, Photoshopped abs and impossibly shiny hair. We even try to take matters into our own hands to achieve that “perfect” look.

Part of it definitely has to do with women being exposed to super sexy advertising when it comes to basic intimates that we wear and the perfect look ideals that the store salesmen try to push on us.

When all I see on commercials are extreme push-up bras, water bras, and inflatable cups (yeah, that’s a real thing,) how am I supposed to feel about what I have on my own? The media constantly bombards women with the idea that we’re supposed to look like we have perfectly proportioned balloons sprouting out of us when we know that doesn’t happen without a little help. And of course the stores are just trying to make money, but the ideas that they sell us on is ridiculous.

I mean, honey, don’t try to fool me; I know that my B cups are not a C or borderline D like some places try to tell me. You may think that I’d be flattered thinking I can fill up a bigger cup size, but that’s not the case.

Everyone who has ever tried on one of those bras knows that there’s a small bean-bag chair in what are considered push up bras these days. With padding on the sides and underneath the cup, where is there even room to put the girls? The only way they’d get me to buy one of those mega-padded bras is if they sold is as a neck pillow that I can take on my next flight.

And do you realize how they get us to buy them? They tell us that we should look good for our boyfriends and partners and husbands, when really you should be making these decisions to make YOU feel good. Realistically a guy isn’t going to fool around with you because of how sexy your bra is. He’s just excited that he’s seeing you in a bra.

Honestly, the most comfortable things in the world are t-shirt bras. No padding, no pushup, just a nice little hug for the ladies when all you want to do is chill. And even if you do feel like messing around with your man, I’m sure you’ll feel way sexier feeling comfortable than having to worry about spilling over the top of a bra that doesn’t fit well.

Photo Sources:

http://originalfact.blogspot.com/2010/05/boost-for-as-and-bs-little-bra-…