Jordan Brown, Coordinator of Annual Football Philanthropy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

University of Illinois Freshman Jordan Brown never stops. Whether he is attending Illini media board meetings, preparing for recruitment as the rush chair for his fraternity, Zeta Beta Tau, or being an active member of Chabad, he has trouble sitting still. Jordan also has a passion for philanthropy and  took over an annual Football Fundraiser a few years aho. At this fundraiser, friends and family come together Thanksgiving morning to play football. The philanthropy raises around $3,000 every year and the money goes directly towards the Slomin Family Center for Autism research.

Why did you decide to take over this philanthropy? “I decided to take over this philanthropy because Josh Lukes (Senior ZBT) and his family gave me the opportunity to keep the annual tradition going. I knew I had an interest in the event and wanted to keep the event going because of the amount of players that came every year. Some people may not even know who is running the event, but come for the football, friends and fun.”

When did you realize that you had a passion for philanthropy? “I realized I had a passion for philanthropy from being raised from parents that have strong hearts and a passion for the betterment of the community. I’ve learned that giving back is the best thing you can do and the most rewarding.”

What is one of the most memorable moments at the annual football philanthropy? “One of the most memorable moments at the annual football philanthropy was making the employees at the Slomin Family Center happy that we continue to donate the money from the fundraiser to the special projects that the Slomin Center goes through to keep the center running smoothly.”

How do you think this fundraiser became so successful? “This fundraiser became so successful because it has three main aspects: family, football and fun. And when you blend the three together you create an event where members of the community can hangout on Thanksgiving morning and play some family football, while also raising money for a good cause…I mean come on, everyone wins!!”

What sets it apart from other philanthropy events? “The people at the event set it apart from others because members of the community continue to play year after year and bring new friends each year.”

What advice do you give to others to lead a balanced life? “My advice for others to lead a balanced life is to find a cause or an organization where you have a passion for what they stand for. Then, become heavily involved and find a way to make a difference in something that you care deeply about.”

What is your ultimate career goal? “My ultimate career goal is to be successful in a career where I have time for my family, friends and to help the community.”