Jaylin McClinton, Newly Elected Student Trustee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the newly elected Student Trustee for the 2015-2016 school year, this determined junior is passionate about making a positive impact at the University of Illinois. From working on Michael Frerich’s legislative campaign to his involvement on campus as a Multicultural Advocate, serving on the Illinois Student Senate and as the Illini Union Board President, he is committed to serving the needs of students on campus. Meet this week’s inspiring Campus Celebrity, Jaylin McClinton!

Her Campus: What do you think is your greatest personal achievement thus far? 

Jaylin McClinton: My greatest personal achievement thus far is winning the Student Trustee election. I worked on Michael Frerichs’ campaign for Treasurer of Illinois and it was a blast. To take that experience and try to mirror it felt really good. As I campaigned for Student Trustee, I remained ethical and kept my integrity first. I think Frerichs emphasized the importance of that during his campaign.

HC: What influenced you to run for Student Trustee?

JM: The Student Trustee position has been an interest of mine since my first year at the university. I remember individuals like Carey Hawkins-Ash running for the position and wanting to make a difference on campus. I share those same sentiments. For me, this has been a college experience that I felt would give me an opportunity to address student issues at the highest governing level.

HC: Tell us a little bit more about the role and responsibilities of the Illinois Student Trustee.

JM: The Student Trustee position is an opportunity to provide a student perspective at the highest governing level. I will attend meetings at the Urbana-Champaign, Chicago and Springfield campuses to discuss student issues. I am also going to be working with administration to make improvements to our campus specifically. With the announcement of the College of Medicine, there are definitely some areas of growth. Lastly, I am good friends with the Student Body President Mitch Dickey, so I am excited to work with him and the Illinois Student Senate as well.

HC: What was the campaign like for you?

JM: My campaign was intense, but it was nothing I could not handle. As mentioned earlier, I worked on Michael Frerichs’ campaign for Treasurer of Illinois. Mike Frerichs walked away with a victory back in November, but he also walked away breaking records (one of the state’s closest elections in history). I wanted to do the same. I assembled a team and we got to work – calling, emailing and sending messages on social media among other things. I also reached out to several large and small student groups to get them to vote. In the end, the student voice was heard and I am committed to making sure that progress is made. 

HC: What are you most looking forward to during your term?

JM: I laid out six key issues during my campaign. I am interested in continuing to explore those, but I really want to focus on college affordability. Recently, I attended the state legislature’s Appropriations Committee Hearings for the Senate/House. It was interesting to hear their questions, but to also address Black/Latino students on campus. I am very passionate about race issues and my goal is to develop action plans to address recruitment and retention on all three University of Illinois campuses. 

HC: How have your experiences on the Illini Union Board, Illinois Student Senate and as a Multicultural Advocate on campus shaped your time at Illinois? 

JM: My experiences on campus have allowed me to blossom into a leader of tomorrow. On the Illini Union Board (IUB), I have learned skills related to organization, time management and effective program planning. With the Illinois Student Senate (ISS), I have learned how to take a back seat and not necessarily be the person in charge and I have also learned about developing policies and the student involvement in that process. Working as a Multicultural Advocate (MA), I have learned a wealth of knowledge about issues related to social justice, diversity and inclusion. I have had an awesome Illinois experience and I am happy to be at Illinois. 

HC: What are your plans for senior year?

JM: My absolute primary focus will be graduating and applying to law schools. Aside from my academics, I will also be serving as Student Trustee and possibly getting involved with a few political campaigns, I enjoy politics!

HC: What is your ultimate goal in life?

JM: My ultimate goal in life is to be Attorney General of the United States and/or a Supreme Court Justice. However, I have to be realistic. That means getting into an exceptional law school and working extremely hard. It also means I need to rub elbows with a presidential hopeful. 

HC: What advice do you want to give to student leaders on campus?

JM: I would say let’s work together. The Urbana-Champaign campus is de-centralized. Many of the student groups on campus work on the same issues and I think moving forward we need to use our networks and really push for the change we are seeking together as a unit. 

HC: Any fun facts about yourself or things you would like us to know?

JM: I am very interested in politics and I like swimming. Also, if anyone is a “Revenge,” “Empire,” “Scandal,” or “Big Brother” fan, then I am your guy to talk with! Those are a few of my favorite TV shows.

Photos courtesy of Jaylin McClinton

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.