How to Keep Busy on a Football Bye Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s finally Friday, yay! But when there isn’t the promise of a football game on Saturday, or more importantly block, what is a collegiette to do? Below are 6 ways to stay busy during a football bye week.

Friday Not Exactly Happy Hour-Hour

Head to Friday night happy hour a little bit later than usual to guarantee that you walk into a crowded bar and don’t leave as early as you normally would. It’s a great chance to just stay at the bars all night because you don’t have to worry about waking up early the next morning for block.

Sleep the Day Away

Can you remember the last time you actually had a good night sleep, because I can’t! Saturday mornings are usually the earliest we all wake up, but not this Saturday. Yes, it’s upsetting that we don’t have block this weekend, but take advantage of this because it rarely happens. Take the opportunity to catch up on your beauty sleep. There’s nothing better than sleeping until one in the afternoon and going to a late brunch with friends.

Get Your Shop On

Block season isn’t over yet and basketball season is on its way, so keep your eye out for new Illinois apparel. This time of year is also popular for sorority and fraternity semi-formals. It’s never too early to start looking for the perfect dress, even if you don’t have a date just yet!

Relax

It’s definitely a perfect weekend to pamper yourself. Get your nails done with all your friends. Maybe even your hair? Whatever you feel like doing! Hit up Urban Outfitters and try on some new clothes for your next night out (you can never have too many clothes). Later in the night, go to a nice dinner in downtown Champaign. You deserve a good meal every once in a while, especially after you skipped a day of drinking. Spend the calories on something yummy!

Ignore Bye Week and Block out Anyways

Bye week … what’s that? Who cares whether Illinois actually has a football game or not, the bars will definitely still be filled with committed block attendees. Day drinking never gets old so if you haven’t been out in a while because its mid-term season, hit up Red Lion … you’ll never have a bad experience.

Catch up on Your School Work

It sucks to do homework on the weekends, but when you think about it, we all go out more during the week so here’s your chance to do homework early for once. Even if you don’t have things due yet, get some stuff out of the way, so you know that you can go out during the week!

What are your plans for this weekend? Let us know in the comments below!

Photo sources:

http://thelandmarkpub.com/drink-specials-at-the-landmark-pub/

http://galleryhip.com/urban-outfitters-window-displays-2013.html

klubatkin

Illinois

A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.