Hourglass, Pear, Apple – Oh My!: Exploring Body Image

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With spring break around the corner, it is hard not to be self-critical and self-conscious. While self-improvement is usually a good thing, it is good to recognize when a little improvement goes too far.

February 23rd to March 1st was National Eating Disorder Awareness Week. After taking a quiz on nedawareness.org, I realized there is so much involved when it comes to eating disorders and, I was ignorant to how many people it affects. Four percent of Americans suffer from an eating disorder. Although it sounds like a small percentage, this statistic translates to 12.5 million people. Do not think guys are immune to the disorder as well. One in every four people with an eating disorder is male.

Most often, eating disorders stem from low self-confidence and poor body image because people are unhappy with what they see. Body image is how you perceive yourself when you look in a mirror or how you think about yourself. Low self-confidence in body image is becoming a huge issue in the youth of today.

Here are a few tips about how to feel good about your body:

· Stop comparing yourself to other people! You are the only one in control of your body, so do not torture yourself by comparing yourself to models and celebrities. The key is to only worry about your own beautiful self and understand that the media airbrushes and Photoshops everybody anyway.

· Love yourself first. It’s super cliché and you’ve probably heard it a million times, but confidence is definitely an attractive quality. When you radiate confidence, it’s obvious. People will love someone that loves themself.

· Be nice to yourself. Stay away from harsh language when you describe yourself. You do not want to be known as one of “those girls” who puts themself down around their friends just to get compliments. If you are nice to yourself, then you will not need to seek satisfaction from other people.

For every day confidence boosters to remind yourself how beautiful you are, try some of the following tips. You can post positive words and pictures on your mirrors around your house or apartment and wear clothes that you love and fit well. Also, think of all the times someone has given you a random compliment and pay it forward! Give your friends a pick-me-up whenever you can and even strangers if you are feeling bold. Loving yourself is so worth it.

One of the most important things to remember is that the majority of eating disorder cases go untreated. If you have a concern about a friend’s eating habits, the link below will take you to the UIUC Student Affairs Counseling Center checklist.

http://www.counselingcenter.illinois.edu/self-help-brochures/eating-and-body-image-concerns/maybe-i-have-a-friend-with-an-eating-disorder/