Health and Fitness: How to Make the Perfect Workout Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

No great workout comes without a great playlist. Creating a perfect playlist takes time, focus and a library of great tunes. Great music can carry you through a tough workout by making the time fly and the workout fun.

Different types of workouts call for different music. There are different tunes necessary for running, abs, cardio circuits and cooling down. If you’re having a high cardio workout, you may need some pump-up music, but if you’re cooling down, you may want a slower beat.  

Running Playlist:

Something that helps motivate myself to get out and go for a run is an encouraging playlist title such as “Get Out and Run” or “Don’t be Lazy, Go Run”. A nice, long run calls for songs you enjoy listening to that will carry you, but they should also have a medium to fast beat that will put you at a good running pace.  

Running Playlist Song Suggestions:

“Safe and Sound” by Capital Cities

“Collide” by Avicii ft. Leona Lewis

“Hurts Like Heaven” by Coldplay

“Take me Home” by Cash Cash

Abs/Crunches Playlist:

There can be a lot of overlap between running songs and songs for doing abs. An abs playlist should have fast-paced songs that keep you crunching at a good speed. They should also be songs you enjoy listening to and motivate you because we all know how tough a couple abs sets can be.

Abs Playlist Songs Suggestions:           

“Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson

“Timber” by Pitbull ft. Ke$ha

“Brokenhearted” by Karmin

“Happy” by Pharrell Williams

Cardio Circuits

Cardio circuits are fast-paced workouts with quick changes from exercise to exercise. The music you choose for a cardio circuit has to enable you to keep up with your exercises. These songs should be the fastest of all your playlists, and remember to blast the music to keep you motivated!

Cardio Circuit Song Suggestions:

“Blow me (One Last Kiss)” by Pink

“I Love It” by Icona Pop feat. Charli XCX

“My Body” by Young the Giant

“You Make Me” by Avicii

Cooling Down Playlist

A good cool down is essential to completing your workout, and there’s no better way to cool down than while listening to some great music. Cool down music should be slow songs that help you relax and bring your heart rate back to normal.

Cool Down Song Suggestions:

“Back Down South” by Kings of Leon

“Lost in my Mind” by The Head and The Heart

“Ends of the Earth” by Lord Huron

“Won’t Go Home Without You” by Maroon 5

So, the next time you plan to hit the gym, don’t forget to make a killer playlist to get you through that intense workout. Whether it’s a cardio day or a weight day, there’s the perfect playlist out there for you!