dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Freshman Blog: Five Things I Learned My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As I’m writing this, sitting in the open lobby of my residence hall, it’s hard to believe that almost nine months have passed since my life completely changed on move-in day. Most don’t think that it will happen, but I’ve grown dramatically since that first day. Here are five things I learned throughout my freshman year.

It’s liberating and exhilarating.

It’s freedom. And it’s a beautiful scary thing. For me, it was the first time in my life, save a few trips, that I was living on my own. There’s a constant tug of war between abusing that freedom and being responsible. For the first time, you are free to stay out until the wee hours of the morning and there are days you do. It can be running through sprinklers or even ordering a pizza at 3 a.m. But, it’s about finding a balance and learning to live it up in a way where you aren’t exhausted from trying to do too much. Although there were plenty of days that this did happen. Hey, it’s a learning process.

You’re much stronger than you think you are.

Whether it’s when the feelings of being completely alone hit or the time you become overwhelmed by stress, sometimes it can be hard to imagine college as an ideal place. You’ll cry and even wish just to be home for a little bit. But you push through, wipe the tears and remember that you are strong and can kick any problem’s butt that comes your way.

You learn more outside the classroom.

Class is the main reason you attend college. However, you only spend 12 to 18 hours a week in classes, so the rest of your time is free for your choosing. My year was chocked full with so much at times that it was difficult to plan anything else. But I got so much out of my extracurriculars, I would wish for less class. I learned about the process of making a college paper through my hours at the student newspaper, picked up cultural lessons through the friends I made and dinner discussions we had and I think just learned more about myself as a person through each day I was on my own.

Boys… will be boys.

Both a blessing and something you’ll curse, boys can definitely get grouped into something that you will become overwhelmed by, but come out much stronger because of the few, bad ones. You’ll kiss your fair share and hear plenty of stories from friends. They can seem to overtake your life at times, but keep in mind all of the other things you have going for you and should be doing instead of worrying about them.

The people you meet define your year.

It’s hard to imagine my first year without all the incredible people I’ve met. I wouldn’t have the memories or the experiences to hold onto if I didn’t have the people to go along with them. From late night chats to rolling around on the floor with laughter, learning what being a true college kid really meant to parties and classes, nothing would have been the same without these people. Thanks so much for making it a great year and I can only hope sophomore year will be even better.

College! Can anything be more exciting! Born and raised on the southside of Chicago, I went to high school in the city so coming to the middle of the cornfields is a big change, but one I am very excited for. When I’m not busy stressing about school, I enjoy reading, having crazy adventures with friends, and just living to the fullest. (Insert one of my numerous favorite Pintrest quotes here) Fresh out of high school, I’m ready to report on all things collegiate and take you along my wild and sure to be bumpy road that is freshman year! 
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.