Fantasy Football: Not Just for the Guys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

If you’re like me, nothing sounds better on a Sunday than huddling around the big screen to watch football. I love following sports, cheering on my Chicago teams and getting into the games. Nearly all of my guy friends are involved in fantasy sports and it’s something that I always considered trying. Since we are well into the NFL season, I can’t join a fantasy football league but I’d still love to get into the action. 

Enter DraftDay.com — a new fantasy sports website that allows you to play fantasy football on a weekly basis. The website eliminates the time commitment of traditional fantasy football leagues and lets you draft when you want — and win money if you know what your doing. Since I was looking for a new way to get involved in sports and impress my guy friends with my football knowledge, I decided to give it a shot and enter a game on DraftDay.

I created an account on DraftDay (for free) and I was automatically able to enter fantasy football games. The DraftDay games are filtered by the amount of players and by the amount of money spent on the buy in. You can choose the free games or tackle the money games (with entry fees ranging from $5 to $500) and choose to go head-to-head or enter a game with up to 100 players. It took me literally five minutes to pick a game and choose my fantasy football team!

Natalie Labriola, a rep. for DraftDay explains, “Our site offers daily fantasy sports — meaning you can change your lineup each week! You’re not bound to your fantasy team the whole season, which is nice because injuries can seriously hurt your team in traditional fantasy football. This is especially nice for girls who might be interested in fantasy football but intimidated to join a league.” 

For the fantasy football games, you choose your NFL players based on salaries. The salary of each player is determined on how well they are playing throughout the season, and how good of a player they are in general.  Each game on DraftDay allows a $100,000 salary to choose your team (The number is fixed every time, so it’s not based off if you win or not). With the salary cap, you choose the players you want based on how much their salary is, as long as the total team is under $100,000. Some of the top highest priced players include Tom Brady, LeSean McCoy, and Calvin Johnson.  

Looking to try out DraftDay this weekend without committing to real money games? Try out the DraftDay Perfect Lineup game. In the Perfect Lineup game, just by entering a fantasy team you could win $1 million. Yes, I said $1 million. And it’s free. So draft the best of the best in the NFL and keep your fingers crossed!

“The Perfect Lineup is one of the many games hosted in our NFL Lobby. This game is free to enter and if you draft the best players at each position, you win a $1 million. If no one hits the “Perfect Lineup”, we still pay the top 25 teams real money so it’s a fun way to win free money each week for your fantasy football skills,” Labriola said.

I have finally found the perfect way to stay updated on sports and compete with my guy friends. The best part is while doing both of those things, I can win money. I am currently in the game, The Quarter, where I have nine NFL players on my team and have the chance to win $645.  When the NFL games begin for the week, head to DraftDay “My Games” to check the live scoring of all your players — and how the rest of the users in your game are faring with their fantasy team! So keep your computer close this Sunday and experience a whole new form of “getting in to the game.”

“I think the biggest draw is that girls would love to get into fantasy sports, (because their guy friends are obsessed for a reason) but they don’t know where to start. Joining a league in August requires a lot of time and it can be hard to keep up with all the rules involved,” Labriola said. “On DraftDay, you can draft a team for one weekend, pick all your favorite guys and see how your team fares. It’s a fun way to get into football.”

I agree that many girls are scared to get involved in fantasy football, baseball, and basketball games. But there are girls out there rocking in fantasy sports! Check out Kay Adams, SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio host (and total cutie) talking about her fantasy football teams and how to get involved in the DraftDay Perfect Lineup!

I can say I’ll be hanging out on DraftDay to try out my fantasy skills each week.  It’s definitely a great website to check out if are looking for a fun way to get into fantasy sports, especially with football at it’s prime. 

Check out DraftDay and sign up! Impress yourself with your fantasy football skills!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!