Behind the Trend: Birkenstocks and Socks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Growing up just about everyone had that parent, grandparent or eccentric friend who thought wearing socks with sandals was not only comfortable, but also cool. On numerous occasions my own mother stopped my naïve seven-year-old self from walking out of the door with nasty striped toe socks and flip-flops on. With all the hate circulating the style, who would have thought that 13 years later two of the world’s biggest fashion icons are not only sporting the trend, but also making it overwhelmingly popular? Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen are my biggest fashion icons. I’ve always had the attitude that if they can something, then so can I. But this is one trend I’m still struggling to wrap my head around.

As it is commonly known, the Birkenstock sandal made a major comeback this past summer. Department stores, such as Nordstrom, had the shoes flying off the shelves in every color and style. Other stores, including Topshop and Zara, created their own version of the popular sandal to compete with the brand. Even high fashion designers, such as Céline, also made their own twist on the shoe. But since summer in Urbana-Champaign has come to an end, every collegiette is being faced with a major fashion dilemma: Do I dare wear my Birks with socks?

Two months ago my immediate response would have been something along the lines of, “Oh, hell no.” But since my fashion icons have the confidence to rock the look, I’ve decided to take a step back to reevaluate the trend. After looking at tons of fashion blogs, magazines and look books, I’ve discovered that working the trend ultimately comes down two things: confidence and the right pair of socks.

The most stylish looks for this trend contain a pair of chunky cable knit or cashmere socks in neutral tones. For those of you who are a little more daring, try a pair with frills or a fun pattern. It is best paired with casual dresses, skirts or a pair of your favorite boyfriend jeans. This look is perfect for lounging around with your friends or for a busy autumn day full of classes and weekly meetings.  

To those who still fear the sock and sandal trend, don’t stress because Birkenstock has introduced a line of sandals with furry insoles to keep your toes toasty all winter long. So throw your worn-down UGGs to the back of your closet (better yet, don’t even bring them to school), because a fresh pair of Birkenstocks and your favorite socks are sure to replace them this winter.

Photo sources:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2587954/Bad-feet-day-The-Olsen-twins-opt-comfort-couture-scandalous-sandals-socks-look-unlikely-catch-on.html

http://aquariuscocktail.com/socks-lot/

http://pagesay.com/shearling-birkenstocks-exist-would-you-wear-them-this-season/#axzz3GPXJZz00

Hey guys! I'm Lauren Lindell and I'm a sophomore in advertising at the University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign.  Besides spending my days staring at clothes online that I can't afford, I enjoy the occasional daily cappuccino, binge watching Netflix and eating cookie dough. I'm a huge fan of Foster the People and Lady Gaga, I have an irrational fear ketchup and I bruise like a peach. When I'm not in school, I work at Nordstrom in the women's shoe department. And as you can imagine, I have no money because of that sick discount.  Feel free to contact me at: Llindel2@illinois.edu
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.