This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Name: Andrew Wicklin

Year: Sophomore

Major: Food Science

Hometown: Chicago, Il

Greek Affiliation: Alpha Tau Omega

How long have you been playing hockey and why did you start?

I have been playing hockey for as long as I can remember. I think I started skating when I was three years old and was on my first team by the age of five. I started because my older brother had played, and as a younger sibling, I wanted to follow in his footsteps because he has always been a good role model for me.

What position do you play and what do you contribute to the team?

I play defense. I contribute to the team by working hard and maintaining the motivation to compete at all times. Our team is pretty tight-knit so every individual is awarded playing time and is vital to our success.

Do you participate in any other extracurriculars? If so, list them and explain why.

I am the social chair for the Association of Food Technologists. I joined the club because I changed majors and wanted to meet more people that were food science majors. After joining, I thought I would be a good fit for social chair because I am pretty personable and enjoy helping out with planning events and the logistics of the club.

What is your favorite part about playing for the Illini?

My favorite part about playing for Illinois is the feeling after a win at home. Knowing that something you did brought joy to other people makes me feel like I’m part of something bigger than myself. I’ve had a little kid ask me for my autograph before, which I thought was pretty funny, but it was really sweet. The people in our community care a lot about our team.

What kind of plans do you have in store after graduation?

After graduation I hope to get a job in the food industry for a food company. I also plan on coaching youth hockey for the same teams that I grew up playing for.

If you could give any advice to a young athlete, what would it be?

Have fun and always work hard. Playing sports is a privilege and something that you can’t do for your entire life. Each and every time you are on the ice, or the field, or in the gym, treat it like it’s your last. Sooner or later, it will all be over and you’ll give anything to be back in the heat of the competition.