Abroad In France: A Recap Of My Unforgettable Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s been just about two weeks since I arrived back to the United States after spending my spring semester in Paris. Those four and half months flew by and I’m finding myself now switching out baguettes and pain au chocolat for pizza and hot dogs. I’m no longer allowed to freely sip on a bottle of wine in public without worries about the drinking age. And I’m not spending each day navigating a new culture in a different language.

Being home is a wonderful feeling after all those months away. I’ve been able to see my family and catch up with friends. I’ve gotten to run around my home city again and admire everything I was missing. It’s great getting back to everything I was missing.

It just doesn’t seem that real that almost a year ago that I was sitting in this same spot, my dining room table, debating going abroad my sophomore year. And what is even crazier to think about, is that two months ago, I was overlooking Athens from the Acropolis on spring break and two months from now I’ll be back in Champaign. The conception of time and place is really just mind boggling now.

Study abroad has been one of the most life-changing experience I’ve had.  I’ve grown so much as a person in all that I did and accomplished. I’m so proud of myself for navigating a new life in a new city all with a different language. I took 16 credit hours of African Literature, Feminism, History and more—all in French. On top of that, I was trying to adapt to a new life and balance everything from homework to traveling to just exploring Paris, while also staying healthy.

It wasn’t always easy. That first month was really difficult trying to adapt to everything. There were moments where I was so ready to come home. I was halfway around the world with 15 people I really didn’t know until I got on that plane to Paris. I was sitting in class that second week just spacing out when I noticed a world map. It was then the distance hit me. I was looking at me in Paris and everything else about my life in Chicago: 4,000 miles away. It didn’t seem real.

For all those debating going abroad, here is what you should know: there will be moments that are extremely challenging, but hey that’s life. All of the amazing things I did outweighed the problems I faced. I think I can speak for everyone in my program saying that we really had the time of our life. That sounds cheesy, but it’s true. I got to see a part of the world I’ve dreamed about since I can remember. I grew up a little and realized I can handle what life will throw at me. And I’ve got 15 or so new amazing friends that I can’t wait to see back in Champaign. It’s tough to find a way to explain everything we went though and I don’t think there really is a way to give it justice. The best way, but certainly understandably difficult, is to go abroad and make your own experiences.

While Paris is far away once again, I’m still very happy to be back in Chicago. And I know I’ll be back across the pond sometime soon. 

College! Can anything be more exciting! Born and raised on the southside of Chicago, I went to high school in the city so coming to the middle of the cornfields is a big change, but one I am very excited for. When I’m not busy stressing about school, I enjoy reading, having crazy adventures with friends, and just living to the fullest. (Insert one of my numerous favorite Pintrest quotes here) Fresh out of high school, I’m ready to report on all things collegiate and take you along my wild and sure to be bumpy road that is freshman year! 
Editor in Chief of Her Campus Illinois Chapter