4 Artists to Check out from Pygmalion Music Festival 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.
If you’ve never heard of it before, The Pygmalion Festival is a music and literature showcase that takes place every autumn in downtown Champaign. Established in 2005, Pygmalion has emerged as a staple of the Champaign-Urbana music culture. Pygmalion’s past acts have included legendary indie band Grizzly Bear and EDM producer Diplo’s side project, Major Lazer. The festival this year, which started on September 25, ends tomorrow, September 28. If you didn’t get the chance to see the live performances, you should at least check out these four artists that performed at Pygmalion this year.

CHVRCHES

One of this year’s headliners, the Scottish electronic trio CHVRCHES (pronounced “churches”) is comprised of Lauren Mayberry, Iain Cook and Martin Doherty. “The Mother We Share” is their most well-known song, an upbeat jam that will add some pep to your step during your walk to class. You should also check out “We Sink,” a steady, rhythmic number that will bring extra motivation to a workout playlist. The scornful “Gun” is the perfect anthem for anyone nursing a broken heart.

EMA

Erika M. Andersen, stage name EMA, is a South Dakota born singer-songwriter who will be opening for XXYYXX at Pygmalion this year. EMA’s discography ranges from the heartfelt “3Jane,” a song for those days when you’re craving chocolate and a Ryan Gosling movie, to the growling “So Blonde,” a tune you might play while getting ready before a pregame. The tribal beats of “Neuromanceer,” layered with EMA’s fierce, take-no-prisoners vocals, will make you want to take up kickboxing.

XXYYXX

Marcel Everett, known as XXYYXX, is an electronic producer hailing from Orlando, Florida. XXYYXX’s trance style and hypnotic beats like in the song “Pay Attention,” are good for anyone that likes to study with a soundtrack. “Hard in Da Paint,” as suggested by the title, is more suited for a night on the town. “Mystify” is an example of his more experimental beats, something that might accompany a jog around campus at dusk.

Panda Bear

One of my all-time favorite artists, Maryland born musician Panda Bear (née Noah Lennox), is the most experimental of the musicians I’ve listed. As one of the founding members of the genre-bending band Animal Collective, Panda’s stuff is meant for the most adventurous of listeners. If you’re the type of person who appreciates the meaning behind songs, I suggest looking up the lyrics to these songs as you listen to them. “Last Night at the Jetty,” is a nostalgic piece that will resonate with anyone who has gone through that weird post-breakup transition where you and an ex struggle to be friends. “Bros” and “Slow Motion” are psychedelic, loopy tunes to digest on a Sunday afternoon while you procrastinate on 
your homework.

To learn more about the festival and its performers, visit Pygmalion’s official website: http://www.thepygmalionfestival.com

Photo sources:

Angela Nostwick is a senior in Creative Writing and English at the University of Illinois. In addition to blogging for Her Campus, Angela is the Poetry and Drama Editor for Montage Arts Magazine, an editorial intern at College English Academic Journal, and a member of The What You Will Shakespeare Company.
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.