3 Ways to Help Your Dad Relive His College Days during Dad’s Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The air is getting colder, and that can only mean one thing: football. Football means every collegiettes’ favorite football-related weekend: Dad’s Weekend. Daddy’s girls everywhere rejoice; you finally have an excuse to hang out with your dad (not like you ever needed one). It’s been awhile since your dad has been in college, and let’s face it, he might be feeling a little out of touch. Luckily for you, here are a few ideas on how you can help your old man relive his college days. 

1. 7 a.m. Blue Guy Wake up Call

Dads wake up early anyways, so your dad will have no problem waking up at 7 a.m. to head to the bars. Pick your favorite one — Red Lion, KAM’S and Joe’s all have great deals for you to enjoy with your dad. All three bars are classic football pregame bars and you can’t go wrong with any of them. However, you have to make sure at some point you get a blue guy with your dad. It’s a U of I tradition, and you can’t let your dad leave without having one. After you hit the bars, you can head over to the Dad’s Association BBQ in the ARC. The Dad’s Association website says the menu will be “traditional BBQ fare.” This is the perfect meal for before the game. Visit Illinois’s Parent Programs website for more information on how to purchase tickets for this event.

2. College Football

There’s nothing like going to a college football game. Let your dad relive his college days by taking him to the football game, considering we all know how much dads love sports. The game is against the University of Iowa and kickoff is 11 a.m.

“I took my dad to the football game last year and he loved it,” said Lucie Banahan, senior. “He cheered louder than I did throughout the whole game.”

It’s great dad-daughter bonding to root for your college team. Bonus points if your dad is an Illinois alum.

3. The Best Champaign-Urbana Eats

Champaign-Urbana is a great college town with an even greater food scene. Make use of your dad’s car and go to downtown Champaign or Urbana and explore what is going on! In the morning hit up a student favorite Cracked and show your dad what you’ve always been raving about. Check out our Dad’s Weekend restaurant guide part I for more ideas on where to take your pop.

While you may think an entire weekend is a long time to spend with your dad, we all know every weekend goes by quickly. Soak up these next few days as much as you can.

“I love Dad’s Weekend because it’s nice to see my dad and show him what my life is like,” said Nicole DiOrio, senior.

After all, once you go to college you don’t get to see your parents as often. Make sure you give your dad a hug before he leaves and come on, tell him you love him!

Photo sources:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/6/5608679_1b02bf4a0c.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Memorial_Stadium_ReDe…

http://crackedtrucks.com/the-truck/

As a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, I am excited to graduate in December with an English degree! As an English major, I take pleasure in using big words, reading big books, and having big meltdowns over papers. I spend the majority of my time binging on Netflix, stalking my own Twitter, and debating if I should order pizza. I'm a self-described cat person who doesn't have a cat, but that doesn't mean I don't love my dog. If I could have one wish in the world it would be that everyone accepted the Oxford comma.
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.