You Know You Were A Girl In The 90s When…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I think we can all agree that being a little girl in the 90’s was amazing.  We had the best fashion, coolest toys, and unforgettable, iconic TV. The 1990’s were unforgettable, and if you were a girl growing up during this decade, it’s about to get nostalgic up in here.

1. Caboodles:

Nothing else was good enough to keep your scrunchies, barrettes or hair ties in but a Caboodles case. They came in the cutest colors, and were portable enough to bring to every sleepover.

2. Boy Meets World:

As children, we watched every cast member of Boy Meets World grow into adults. Every Cory and Topanga break up broke our adolescent hearts, and we all wanted a teacher as insightful as Mr. Feeny, Not to mention the Boy Meets World halloween special was EASILY the scariest thing on television that we were allowed to watch. I think we can all agree that Boy Meets World also brought around the best romance of all time. Cory + Topanga 4ever. 

3. Plastic Chokers:

Your grade school outfit wasn’t complete without one of these amazing pieces of jewelry. Not only did they make our outfits a little more edgy, they were also crazy fun to play with. How the heck could one piece of plastic stretch so much? These necklaces came in every color, matched every outfit, and frankly, should never have gone out of style. 

4. Tiger Beat:

AKA: The Bible. No grocery store trip was complete without sneaking a Tiger Beat into your moms shopping cart while she wasn’t looking. 

5. Mary Kate and Ashley Movies:

Could Mary Kate and Ashley, like, stop having perfect lives for five minutes? Apparently not, according to their home videos. I think we all took it pretty personally when we didn’t receive invitations to any of their ‘You’re Invited’ sleepover parties. 

6. Lip Smackers:

Lip Smackers were everywhere, and came in every flavor imaginable. While the boys collected Pokemon cards, us girls of the 90’s were busy searching the local Walgreens for a Lip Smackers flavor we didn’t have yet. 

7. Plastic Bubble Chairs:

One word: Luxurious. 

Do these items bring back memories from your childhood? Let us know if we missed any crucial 90’s memorabilia and long live the choker necklace! 

Rebecca Davis

Illinois State

New writer for HerCampus at Illinois State University
Contributor account for Illinois State