Why You Need To Watch “This Is Us”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Looking for a new television series to become obsessed with? Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. 

“This Is Us” first aired on NBC in early September and it’s slowly becoming one of the greatest television series out there. Why? Because it’s real, raw and relatable. The show focuses on five people’s journey throughout life. Specifically, the main characters who happen to all share the same birthday. As the show unravels, we slowly learn that they are all siblings – more specifically, triplets. The series follows the families lives and show how each their lives intertwine. What makes the show even more unique is the fact that the episodes weave through the past and present of the characters. Each flashback reveals more insight to the families’ lives, and how it all started. Intrigued yet?! If not, here’s 5 reasons why you need to watch “This Is Us” 

1. Relatable 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to find a television show that is entertaining and makes us dream of what our life could be like. But, what about a show that describes life how it really is? Just plain reality. “This Is Us” touches on every aspect of life, and they aren’t always pretty – but life isn’t either. Body image struggles, finding a career, a fear of finding love, being adopted, cancer, death – just a few of the many relatable aspects in life that we can relate too. Each character is faced with overcoming their own challenge. 

2. Unique 

While there’s been shows that incorporate flashbacks, there’s really never been a show that relies on flashbacks solely to reveal several characters’ lives. We get to see how the kids grow up into adults. We see how their parents shaped them into who they are, and what made them who they are today. 

3. A+ Acting 

First of all, one of the lead roles is Mandy Moore – need I say more? Other cast members include: Milo Ventimiglia (Jack) Chrissy Metz (Kate), Justin Hartley (Kevin), and Sterling K. Brown (Randall). Each cast member takes on their role perfectly and takes on their character’s hardships as if it was their own. 

4. Self-Acceptance 

The series focuses on many hardships in life, and one of the main takeaways is to always accept who you are. Character Kate faces body image issues through the series. While she’s constantly trying to find the perfect look and change herself, it leads viewers to realize that the most important thing is your self-worth – not your image. We live in a society where we are constantly challenged and identified by our looks, finances, possessions, careers – you name it. This lesson can resonate with anyone who battles with self-acceptance. 

5. Value Life 

This show makes you value the little things in life. Its easy to get caught up in life and forget what really matters. We get busy, tired, and stressed out. But at the end of the day, don’t forget who you love and what you’re thankful for. 

This Is Us? More like This Is Beautiful.

Catch the episodes on NBC every Tuesday at 8 p.m.

Ashleigh Lalla

Illinois State '18

.
Contributor account for Illinois State