This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s that awkward time of year again when the weather is transitioning from winter to spring and you’re clueless as to what is acceptable to wear. Is it time to retire the Uggs? Do I break out the North Face? What colors should I be shopping for? It’s not quite time for bikinis and flip-flops yet but I think it’s safe to pack away the hats and scarves.

Shoes: Although you can still get away with a cute pair of combat boots, it’s time to put on the Sperry’s. They are perfect for that not too hot, not too cold weather. But keep your rain boots out because they don’t do too well in the rain.

Denim: Denim is always trending but the skinny jeans have got to go. A slouchy pair of boyfriend jeans are cute and comfy with an equally slouchy shirt to balance out the look.

Nails: It’s always hard to judge what color to paint your nails around this time. The browns and blacks are over and done with but it’s too soon for the bright, neon colors. The solution to this problem: pastels. Their dull, pretty shades are perfect for this time of year. Essie has the best selection of pastel polishes and can be found at drugstores.

Layers: Since this weather is so unpredictable, it’s the perfect time to layer your outfits. If you feel like wearing a cute, casual dress throw on a cardigan or a light jacket to keep you warm in the unpredictable weather.

Scarves: Go ahead and pack up your knitted, heavy, wool scarves because you (hopefully) won’t need them anymore. Now it’s time for those lighter scarves that add style and keep you warm on those cool spring days. Floral is always a popular pick to match the budding trees and blooming flowers this spring will bring.

Accessories: Get rid of the black purses and totes in exchange for a light colored, fun cross-body bag. It will add some style to your outfit and it’s a great excuse for a new purse.

With these style tips you should have no problem transitioning from the dark, boring winter look to a bright and fun spring style!

Danielle Farrow

Illinois State

Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State