Types of People You See at the Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

ISU’s Rec Center is crowded at all hours of the day by a diverse mix of people. Whether you’re there to socialize or exercise, the types of people you run into while running are sometimes not what you’d expect. And sometimes…they’re exactly what you’d expect. Here’s our list of the different types of people you see at the Rec:

1. Frat/Srat StarsWe call them as we see them. Greek life loves to sweat in their letters…but there’s a fine line between the gym and the country club themed party being thrown later. If you’re wearing Sperry’s while squatting, you may need to reconsider your priorities.

2. Guys on steroids?Excuse me can I just squeeze…by…here…ok. You’re HUGE. Like where is your neck? YOU ARE NOT HUMAN SIZE. And why are you constantly “puffed out” swaying back and forth when you walk? We get it. You lift. 

3. Freakishly Fit Girls…Although some girls are in the same ballpark as the guys listed above, these ladies aren’t the type I’m talking about. I use the word freakishly here because the only other word that comes to mind when seeing these young women is jealousy. So much jealousy. We proceed to creepily follow them around (but not close enough that they notice) to see what their workout is or what they are doing because they have to know something we don’t. They are the perfect combination of strong and sexy. SHOW ME YOUR WAYS.

4. Lost FreshmanCut-off? Sorry you actually can’t wear that here. Try again. Reading the instructions on the machine? Don’t know where the machine you want is? Wait, didn’t I just see you wandering around here 5 minutes ago? Poor lost puppies just have to find their way around their new home and mark their new territory. .

5. Older ProfessorsAh, yes. It’s not awkward at all seeing the professor of that class you skipped today, power walking. Or seeing any professor (especially the older ones) work out at all for that matter.

6. NBA wannabesOH MY GOSH YOU WERE ALL CONFERENCE IN HIGH SCHOOL? I’m sure you could TOTALLY walk on to the basketball team here at ISU if you wanted to! Watch me go between the legs ten times before I drive in and call a foul that isn’t a foul. And then let’s all argue about it for a while. 

7. Misses on a missionThis girl has absolutely zero idea of what is going on around her. She is in her own little world, and if I had to guess, she probably only has 45 minutes in her schedule today allotted to exercise. So she kills it. Sweat is flying everywhere, music is blaring, hair is a mess but this girl is clearly on a mission. Stand back.

8. Non-Sweating Socializers/Try HardsOk so you have the cute workout outfits…but you don’t have anywhere to wear them but the gym. Why not go hang out and look cute while watching all the good-looking people get their sweat on? Let me just get ready (make up, hair, etc) to go work out and then not…work out. But my outfit’s cute right?

9. Jamba JuicersIt’s really unfortunate that the best smoothies on campus are inside the rec building because some of us would just like to enjoy a smoothie without working out first…are people watching me? Do you think they know I just came in to go to Jamba? I don’t actually plan on working out today. Or any day for that matter. I really just want a smoothie.

10. The LurkerCould also be known as a moderate stalker. I’m just going to get on this treadmill and put it on a slight incline just high enough for me to see over the person in front of me so I can watch you bench. And squat. And curl.

Next time you’re at the Rec, keep an eye out for these well-known species… you never know whom you’re going to run (or power walk or climb or jog or jump or swim) into next.

Katy Winge

Illinois State

Student at Illinois State University. Member of the Women's Basketball Team. Historian for Zeta Tau Alpha- Eta Phi Chapter. From Minnetonka, MN.
Contributor account for Illinois State