Tuesday How To: Ombre Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If you’re sick of boring nail polish colors, this is definitely the how-to article for you! This design brings up the super popular trend of ombre! I have already tried this out and it’s so simple and looks great, and I am sure you already have all of the materials you need in your house!

What you’ll need:
Nail polish (Whatever color trend you want)
Makeup sponge
Little container for water (optional)
Nail polish remover
Q-tip
Top coat

Steps:

Step one: Gather all your nail polishes. This can work anywhere from two to four colors.

Step two: Dampen your makeup sponge. You can soak it in something as small as a shot glass or just run it under water… this step is up to you!

Step three: Being painting lines on the makeup sponge as illustrated in the picture. Start with the darkest color at the bottom.

Step four: Continue with all the other colors.

Step five: Press the sponge against a paper.

Step six: Avoid really thick prints on your nail.

Step seven: Press the sponge against your finger. Repeat with both hands.

Step eight: Wait for nails to dry, then carefully wet Q-tip with nail polish remover and erase any excess left on the sides of your fingers.

Step nine:  Top with clear coat!

For a more bold color, you can also paint a base coat, such as white or black.

Source: http://thebeautydepartment.com/2012/04/pretty-polish-idea/

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.