This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Lets be honest, our iPhones and smart phones are OUR LIVES. We are never without them, and when we are, it’s basically our worst nightmare – we feel so lost. Our phones are important and knowing how our phones can help us is even more important. What if I told you that there are apps out there that could help you as college kids specifically? And that you could use your phone for other things then Twitter and Fun Run – crazy huh? Well I have done a little research and checked out a bunch of apps to create a list of the Top 10 Useful College Useful Apps. The best part about it? They are all free!

1. Google Translate. This is seriously a lifesaver. I have no idea what I would do without this precious app. I know almost everyone in a language class has used Google Translate before and it is super convenient to have this app at your fingertips.

2. StudyBlue. I discovered this app this semester and it rocks. Think of it as flashcards on your phone! You won’t have to write out all the terms and waste notecards preparing for every test. You can store lecture notes and make, study and share flashcards.  This way you will always have your note cards with you wherever you go. So if you have some free time just pull out your phone and start studying! Sounds like a blast, right?

3. inClass. This app will make your life feel so much more organized right after you download it. You assign each class into different folders and for each class you can organize notes, record homework and put down reminders about upcoming quizzes and tests. You can even add photos, and record your voice eliminating the need to type your notes out. It’s so simple to use and will help you stay on top of your busy class schedule. Definitely a must have.

4. DrinksFree. The title is pretty self-explanatory, but this app is the best recipe book for all different types of drinks. You can type in the ingredients you have and then it will come up with various drink options with those ingredients. How cool is that? You try new recipes and mark your favorites and BAM basically you are the best bartender in town!

5. Guardly. This app is perfect if you are ever walking home alone late from the rec center, library or where ever. If you feel like someone is following you or you don’t feel particularly safe, you can send an emergency alert to 911, a specific contact or campus security. The app knows where you are, so the receiver of the message will know immediately where to find you. This is a helpful app to download so you can feel safe and secure no matter what.

6. Mint.com. Need to budget and keep track of your money better? This app is perfect for you. All you have to do is sign in with your own bank and it helps you set up budget lists, and tells you how much you have spent and earned. It also gives tips and advice on how to save money too. I’m so happy this app came into my life. Let’s hope I follow that budget!

7. Free GraCalc. This is a free graphing calculator, I repeat, FREE GRAPHING CALCULATOR. You don’t have to pay $150 anymore for the hand held one; you get this one for free! Did I say that already? Yeah, it’s free.

8. Ambiance. We all know that sleep is super important in college. But do we ever get it? Nope. This app has tons of relaxing sounds like “Windy Sea Harbor” and “Summer on the Balcony” that will help you drowse off to a nice, relaxing, peaceful slumber. “Like” your favorites and look forward to new sounds added often. You will cherish and look forward to sleep so much more now, if that is even possible.

9. 8tracks. This is the best music app you will ever come across. Working out? There’s a playlist for that. Studying? There’s a playlist for that. You just type in your mood or what you’re doing and you get tons of playlists to choose from. I cannot express how awesome this app is and how useful and appropriate all the playlists are for every activity.

10. iTunes U. This app allows you to download lectures, podcasts and presentations straight to your phone. You get access to the world’s largest catalog of education content from leading institutions. Locate your college and you will find a bunch of resources waiting for you to use. It’s super easy, fast and will help you out tremendously.