The semester grade time crunch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s that time of year. There are only 5 weeks left of the semester and finals week is quickly approaching us. If you’re boarder line grades, here are a few things that may help you raise that grade!

Take advantage of your teachers office hours.

Many students have never visited their teacher’s during their office hours. Office hours are for your benefit! You can get to know your teacher and ask questions that you are unable to ask in class. You can ask to look over old test with your teacher and figure out what you need to focus on for the next test. Not to mention your teacher will notice the effort you are making and will most likely be more willing to give you the boost you need to reach the grade you are hoping for.

Stay away for unnecessary technology.
Facebook and Twitter will get you no where during finals week! These two internet sites have become college student’s main distraction over the years. I’ll admit the first thing I do when I get back from class is open my computer and log into Facebook, and I too have suffered academically because of this. Ways to avoid these two sites during finals week is to leave your computers at home when going to the library to study. Or simply do not connect to the internet when using your computer to study. Fight the temptation for one week, I dare you.

Exercise and stay healthy.
During the end of the semester, chances are you will be extremely stressed out! It is important to not let this effect your eating habits. Statistics show that students who maintain a healthy lifestyle get higher grades than those who don’t. Here at ISU we have our brand new rec center which is great for exercising and releasing stress. Eating fruits and vegetables will also make you feel better about yourself which in return will keep you focused when studying.

Pick quiet places to study.
Sometimes the library turns into a social event, especially on the 6th floor. So why not choose a new study spot? Campus is filled with restaurants, diners, coffee shops, and even benches that can be great places to study. In addition to that, don’t study with distracting friends. Study with people in your class that you don’t know well enough to have social conversations with. Keep the conversation about the subject you are studying.

Lastly, don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Aside from getting help from your professors, The Visor Center is filled with tutors and workshops that can help you study and get the grade you want. Tutoring appointments can be weekly or drop-in. You can get a list of the courses they help with by calling them at (309) 438- 7100. If you are interested don’t wait to call! They get very busy during the end of the semester.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.