To rush or to not rush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s almost time for recruitment season to begin, so read up on this HerCampus article and see if going Greek may be right for you!

No matter what year you are in college, the opportunity to rush is always out there. It is always a great place to meet people and make lasting friendships. But what is so nice about Illinois State is that, though the Greek community is so tight knit, there is no pressure on you to go through recruitment and there are still many activities to participate in besides going Greek.

If you do decide to go Greek there are many perks of being a part of a chapter. The biggest, and most obvious, is gaining life-long friendships. It may sound corny and overused but when you decide to become a member of a chapter you are instantly surrounding yourself with people who value each other and are understandably similar. You have the chance to live with these people, attend all sorts of activities with these people and over time, they will become your best friends. Besides finding friendships with members of your own chapter, becoming a part of ISU’s tight Greek community will help you interact with many other members of other chapters. Through attending different philanthropies and Greek events you will end up bonding with them, as well. Opportunities for obtaining leadership positions such as President or Recruitment Chair, are open to all members of the chapter. These positions can help you learn how to better yourself and better your chapter.

Though the option to go Greek is out there, that may not be something that appeals to you. Going Greek is not the cheapest thing in the world, and for some students the financial stress may be too much. Paying for chapter house dues, dances and other extra activities may be too overwhelming for some students’ budgets. Also, since recruitment for both sororities and fraternities falls towards the beginning of the school year, many students opt out of going through recruitment for the chance to visit home. If the recruitment dates overlaps with their plans to relax with a much needed homecooked meal and a full-size bed, then they will simply pass on going through the recruitment process. ISU also has a large array of different RSO’s on campus that appeal to students majors and interests while also having less of a strain on their wallet and their time schedule.

Whether you choose to go Greek or not, always think about the pros and cons before you make a decision about joining any organization. There are many opportunities for you here at ISU to get yourself involved so don’t be afraid to go and see what they are all about!

Megan Lawler

Illinois State

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.