This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Have you ever lost something unexpectedly, and by “unexpectedly” I mean that it completely caught you off guard, shock struck your entire being, and you didn’t know how to cope with the consequences of the tragedy? We all experience different versions of loss throughout our lives and we all display different reactions in our responses. At this exact moment however, I think a great majority of ISU faculty, staff, and students can agree that we do not know how to cope with the loss we have very recently experienced on campus. It has been so sudden, has taken a many of us by surprise, and frankly is almost unbelievable. That is, the incredibly heart-breaking loss of our beloved Jamba Juice.

If you are anything like me, when you saw that Jamba Juice was no longer at the Rec Center you went directly into the five stages of grief as outlined in the Kübler-Ross model. It might have felt a little bit like this when you arrived back on campus and heard that Jamba Juice was torn down officially:

Denial –Oh no, no no no no no. I am getting a Mango-A-Go-Go smoothie with whey protein after my workout.

When you arrived at the Rec Center for your workout and saw that it really had disappeared:

Anger – But…what the actual #$&* is going on? I need my mango. Why do I even bother working out?!?!?! This blasphemy is uncalled for, unacceptable, and unsatisfactory. Why do I even go to this school anymore???? WHO DID THIS. TELL ME WHO DID THIS.

When your steamy anger had subsided:

Bargaining – Maybe if I buy frozen Jamba Juice fruit packets from Walmart it will replace the gaping hole in my heart?

When you concluded that absolutely nothing could fix the aching:

Depression – I will never be able to feel happiness or love for any other frozen drink for as long as I live.

And when you accepted the fact that you now attend a university that no longer has a smoothie joint:

Acceptance – One day, when I am bitter and old, I will look back on my college memories and they will include my fondness of the simple straw I sucked out of to enjoy my Mango-A-Go-Go.

Since this immediate crisis, some of you may have heard the true reasoning behind the switch. If you talk to anyone who works at the Rec Center it wasn’t really in our hands if Jamba stayed on campus or not. You might have thought, “Why didn’t they ask us before they took it down?” But “they” couldn’t really make that decision, as it was strictly a matter of business. Jamba Juice was not making a profit. ISU had to pay them off. Jamba Juice left. Starbucks made an offer. And thus, the new brew era began!

After all of this difficult mourning, I think it is time that we at least honor Jamba Juice for all of the happy memories – the moments that make us smile. Here is to all the times that a cool Banana Berry smoothie refreshed us on a hot September day after you ran between the COB and Schroeder Hall several times. Here is to all the times that your flex dollars allowed you to insert multiple flavor, health, and yummy boosts into your Strawberry Wild. Here is to all the times you walked into the Rec and received a free sample of oatmeal, you heard the lovely employee call out your order, or you simply smelled the fresh aroma of fruit. Rest in peace Rec Center Jamba. For every time we see Starbucks in your place, we know that you are looking down on us with love and joy, but caffeine will never compare to your flawless chilled beverages.

Katie Sall

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State